Baofeng DM-X DMR

@Houwie7000 I did not catch the other options enabled - was it after you clicked on read on connected radio? Because I don’t think you have vibration enabled by default.

Concerning the backup of recordings, it is potentially possible but with a big BUT. You see, some seller lie about the memory capacity of this device (they say there is a 1GB internal SD card, but there is no such thing, just 16MiB SPI flash). In fact, the calls are recorded into data flash memory as AMBE+ data, so theoretically one can write a code which would copy them to a PC. But there are some special headers and you would need a an AMBE+ decoder to convert them to audio (which understands the saved data). Update: unfortunately the hardware decoders/SW libraries used for AMBE+2 decoding don’t work for the data extracted from flash.

@Downer06 - then it should be OK and it should flash (unless you don’t click on Load selecting the file before clicking on Upgrade or some such silly mistake). But who knows with this type of a seller, maybe they have a different boot loader flashed now in their models, which returns a different string. Unless you are a very advanced user who can monitor USB port using portmon/Wireshark or a Linux user with superuser rights, I guess we can’t check what the device says to CPS.

I completely forgot that wireshark can capture usb traffic. I did a capture of it and it reports back MD1702-V2
I know I am a pain but do you know if your identifies the same?

0000 1b 00 a0 d9 6c 8b 8b b0 ff ff 00 00 00 00 09 00 … Ùl…°ÿÿ…
0010 01 01 00 0b 00 82 03 09 00 00 00 4d 44 31 37 30 …MD170
0020 32 2d 56 32 2-V2

I just looked in that INI file that comes with the firmware and apparently it specifies V1

@Downer06 Yes, this is exactly what I was afraid of. You have a newer version of the bootloader (and possibly the hardware as well so the check fails). Out of curiosity, which firmware version does your radio show in settings menu? I would not risk modifying the binini file and uploading the firmware, when we do not know what has actually changed.

I dont have the radio in front of me right now. But it is something like 2.0.19 I can get it fro you tonight.

V2.02.19 is the firmware version on my radio.

@Downer06 In that case it is 50/50. The firmware is probably the same as the previous version which can be downloaded, but I would probably not risk modifyng the binini file and flashing V2.2.22, as there is a low chance that the bootloader differs from the previous one and as such may require encrypted firmware (although I doubt that).

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I am going to see if i can pull the firmware from the radio and do a comparison between the posted v19 and the one I have. I will let you know if i have any success.

Pulling the firmware cannot be done in the CPS application (I have sent you a private message).

Also the bootloader cannot be pulled without uploading a modified firmware or entering a ROM loader mode. The firmware will not allow access to it.

When you replay recordings how do you actually stop playing them other than just turning the radio off?
Also could you please send a DM to me about extracting the fw off of the radio itself?

Hello, no I did not find any way how to stop recording without turning off the device. I think the keyboard is disabled during playback intentionally to prevent stutters. But I would also like to have back button.

There are many things like that, e.g. displaying info for recording shows the first one instead and deleting of it was broken in 2.2.19 (it seems partially fixed now), keyboard in text input always starts in PY (Chinese mode), OK button is displayed even when there is no such action, etc.

Hello and thank you for your support.
I have followed the procedures you have edited but nothing to do. The screen retes desperately white!
The radio is well recognized in writing and reading by the program in the “embedded message” mode
The update passes correctly and I ticked the boxes exactly as on the image.I am lost …
Greetings

Hello,
concerning the white screen - did it happen after firmware upgrade or was it not connected to it (I am a little confused from the original message)? If you are able to communicate with the radio via USB in CPS in settings upload mode, the firmware is working. I would rather suspect a hardware issue in this case, like the one I had (but in my case the display had this pattern of red/green/blue noise in the startup).

What happend to me after using the radio for about a week and half: when you look in the early posts of this topic, you will see there is a ribbon cable connecting the main board with the board with LCD display/buttons. In my case, the casing of GPS damaged the ribbon cable and it stopped working, it could also become undone if not properly latched. I used one from Orange PI offical camera for some time in my case and in the meantime I received a batch I ordered and replaced the one which was broken. But this is just a guess.

Also, if it was a problem with settings, I would back the original one and then load the official blank setting from the CPS data folder and try to flash that.

The embedded message fix should only rectify issues with Chinese font, button audio names, and missing start-up picture, the rest functions OK.

1 Like

Hello
Errors were noticed
after upgrading to version 22
did not correctly show the battery indicator
The battery is fully charged but shows half
Who knows if there is a function to request geo data
another radio station
how to activate

same
if you do not specify the name of the channel
then when you press the top right button
you can make switching frequencies
if there is a channel name
don’t do this
who knows how to fix this?

Battery indicator value is bound to radio calibration data, did you change the setting for some reason?

Geo data - you can send it by GPS from other radio by APRS (did not test it yet), but unlike other radios I don’t think you can actually request it.

The last think I don’t fully understand, but I suppose you write that if you are in frequency mode, you can activate VFO, but if you are in channel mode, you can’t. This is normal behavior, consistent with other radios (e.g. MD380UV). It was mentioned several times in this forum. However unlike those you cannot switch between these two modes in menu in this model. You could define channels with those frequencies you want to use in CPS together with a zone for them.

Hello
it turns out I can not send a request to another station
that she gave me her coordinates

I did not change the calibration
I updated to version 22
How can I fix this?

Why not change the choice of VFO

Hello
Is the firmware from MD380UV suitable?
for DM-1702

Do you have a CPS file backed up from before you changed the firmware? If so, there is a slight chance to write the values from it. If not, then it would be quite a lot of guesswork to get correct battery calibration (and I would suggest checking the real battery voltage to remove the possibility of hardware fault - e.g. the charger lighting green even if the battery is not charged - before that).

Concerning the MD firmware, the short answer is no. They have totally different layout of flash and SPI flash, different bootloader, firmware starts at different address, etc.