Baofeng DM-X DMR

OK, just a few clarifications:

• there is a Python2/3 tool created last summer I have linked earlier in this forum, which accesses the file system of the EEPROM and can modify the boot image (last I have tested it was with FW .22). It can also read the flash of the radio excluding first blocks with the bootloader which are not accessible (I had a modded firmware just for me which did this, but it was using a patch to some functions which accessed the memory to not break anything in normal communication protocol and had limited memory access). So to make it clear, it will dump the whole firmware image. And yes, I did reverse-engineer most of the communication protocol sniffig the USB bus.
  • The .23 firmware source may be a dump of RT72 radio from Retevis, which uses the same SW/HW combination, but it might not. Unless someone dumps it in the firmware update mode (black screen) we cannot be sure (but the HW may be slightly different so say if the CPU has multiple USB ports, it may be using wrong one not connected to the USB connector, but this is a speculation, I forgot in the meantime it’s exact type).
  • I have played with Ghidra and the FW last year, so I know quite a lot about the organization of the FW, but not enough to modify it. I gave up on it.
  • The EEPROM memory layout for CPS is “strange”, blocks are identified by an ID in the end of them and they do not have a fixed position in memory (but boot image is in a different block)
  • And yes, there is a special set of bytes written in a block between bootloader and FW, which contains a code based on CPU ID which is checked in firmware to prevent clonning of the device. But it would just prevent the device from working.

Well, since the tools now exist, there’s scope for a lot of stuff. But that’s for those who have the time and motivation, both of which I sorely lack having other engineering stuff on the go and trying to fit in resurrecting my ancient defunct trunking system design for modern types of protocols.

But irrespective of why a seemingly unofficial f/w appeared on the later units particularly and the fact Baofeng and actual manufacturer treats them as virtually nonexistent leads to another possibility behind their mystery nature.

Are DM-X’s merely near-Chinese copies of the DM1702 GPS variant?

If they are and haven’t subsequently been certified specifically, instead using any existing DM1702 certification status falsely, it opens up a whole stinking barrel of rotting fish for those who bought in the interests of regular DMR T2 intended legit licensed use.

Clearly it’s not an issue for ham users as we don’t need worry as in our allocations use, it’s clear sailing. But I do give a ■■■■ about those who unwilling fall victim to such trickery much like what happened over W305/R700 hybrid ‘DMR’ UHF equipped cellphones.

hi everyone,
i have been reading this thread with great interest,

i recently had the misfortune of buying a dm1702 gps before stumbling on this forum…

i received my radio yesterday and 1, the language was set to chinese… and 2 the channels have been named (channel 1) which as i have read here renders the unit unable to be put into vfo mode, now trying to connect to my pc to get into programming software and the unit does not even recognise the usb has been connected, i mean nothing on the pc or the radio…
so other than editing the channel 1 on the radio my unit is a shiney new brick…

any help with either getting into vfo mode or getting this shiney new brick to register to my pc would be a huge help
cheers all

Are you able to see if the firmware in the radio ends in .23? If it does, that’s your issue. I just went through the exact same issue. I had to downgrade to .22 and all worked great after that.

Yes, default language is Chinese. VFO mode can be activated by holding right button bellow display ( ___| ) for several seconds but ONLY IF the radio is in frequency display mode not the channel name display mode. Everything about that has been discussed earlier in this topic several times, please use search function for finding details.

For USB communication, use micro USB cable (with longer metal part) but NOT the USB cable for NON-DMR Baofengs, which uses different communication. But as was mentioned above me, if you have firmware version ending .023, there is a connectivity issue which can be solved by putting radio into firmware download mode and downgrading the firmware (but you won’t be able to get CSV contacts). Or try to ask the seller for correct CPS/fimware.

my firmware is the 02 version which is why im stumped with this,
the channel has been named which is why i cannot get into vfo mode and programming is needed to change this

i will try a usb lead with a longer connector as you have mentioned thanks for that one but i wont hold my breath

The firmware is always version 2, what we are talking about is the end section of version. When you go to Menu->settings->Radio Info-> VerSions you will see V02.02.0XY and we are talking about the XY being 23. So what is your value there?

EDIT: Now I am really confused, I have flashed FW 2.2.23 extracted from my RT72 to DM-X to simulate your issues and it works without any problem with old 1.0.66 and new 1.0.78 CPS under Windows 7 in my virtual machine, plus my tools read and write data as well. HW version is MD1702-V1 for both devices.

thanks for your help all working now, turns out you tip with the longer tipped usb cable was right! i can now use the programming software and get this radio functional cheers buddy :call_me_hand:

Note - the ‘longer tipped’ micro USB cable success does not support the as-posted conclusion that different wiring/protocol/communication (what seems to be meant) are involved.

Micro USB cables are standard wiring, either for data and power/charge (also permitting host-powering of attached devices) or power only intended as charge/power cables. The only tangible difference, between 'long tipped as described and regular micro USB connectors is how far the insulation (the bulky moulded bit the connector sits in) extends length and width wise.

In most cases, pretty much standard - it’s equipment manufacturers at fault in their sloppy designs for socket housing mostly being the biggest cause of seemingly no electrical connection. On older cables, where you could slide the covers off, you could determine this easily by simple electrical testing to determine if no detection was due to a physical poor or non-connection. Doing that these days means testing (without a tester) at attached equipment socket level or very careful piercing of outer insulation and inner cable insulation which is not easy on cables that thin as a lot are these days.

But irrespective of why a so-called standard connector fails to electrically connect fully, connectivity due to physical irregularities and subsequent electrical connections failure is not the same as a protocol/non-standard type difference.

On some types of serial connections, there may be causes where the intermediate cable impedence and nominal impedance of termination can be causes of problems, but I’ve yet to see a USB example bar the obligatory infinite HR caused by a wire break or infinitely low caused by an inline short - and it’s usually an intermittent HR or persistent HR due to the actual wires not connectors.

But that all said, whoever designed micro-usb connectors should be sent to ■■■■. The connectors have near zero long term robustness and PCB mount sockets design is a very unfunny prank on us all. So much so, everything I own with micro-usb has been modded to at least make the PCB socket more stable and robust. Where possible, I’ll source non-pcb mount sockets and short wire those back to the PCB in the knowledge it’ll easily outlive the original setup robustness wise.

Mini-usb was the best sub-USB design by far, that’s what should have become the required standard power/data connection not ■■■■■■ monkey metal grade mini-usb termination we’re stuck with.

What’s the download address of Baofeng md-1702 to upgrade firmware v02.02.023

thank you

Hola, tengo un Baofeng DM-X ( DM-1702B) y como he leído en este foro, cuando se conecta con el cable USB o con el cable de dos conectores, aparece en el administrador de tareas como una impresora compatible USB, y debajo como que no hay conectada ninguna impresora. No puedo leer de la radio ni subir otro firmware. En el momento de intentar leer la radio aparece en la pantalla que hay cable usb conectado y desaparece enseguida y se ve en el administrador de tares de windows 10 que desaparece la compatibilidad con impresora. A los 2 segundos vuelve a aparecer y queda igual. La cadena como versión del fw que aparece en la radio es L05.01.004. la versión de baofeng es DM-1702B. Se agrasdece cualquier ayuda. Gracias.

1 Like

What’s the download address of Baofeng md-1702 to upgrade firmware v02.02.023

You have the link two messages above. But this is extracted firmware, not an official download site (you have to use old 1.0.66 CPS to flash it):

… I have flashed FW 2.2.23 extracted from my RT72 to DM-X to simulate your issues and it works without any problem with old 1.0.66 and new 1.0.78 CPS …

@waltercx3awb:
I am not sure if I understand you correctly, but could you try the Retevis 72 1.00.02 CPS or longer cable if you are using micro USB? The L firmware uses a different communication protocol which is incompatible with old CPS versions.

@all: Some clarification to all, I have updated my (mainly Linux) MD1702-tools to be able to communicate with Retevis RT-72 with L02.02.01 firmware after I got it from them (my device had a wrong firmware version when shipped).

So there are several variants of the firmware:

• V02.02.023 I have extracted and linked in this E-mail sems to work only with Baofeng old CPSes, and has call recording
  • L02.02.001 I received should support CSV contacts but no call recording (as it is nowhere to download and I did not extract it from radio I bought, I am not posting it here). Works with RT72 1.00.02 CPS only.

I have no idea what L05.01.004 requires to work, unfortunately, but if someone is able to dump it with md1702_dfu.py readfw dump.bin when the radio is in normal operation mode, I can try to test it.

Concerning the logo - if you are able to use Python and pip but not my tool to communicate over USB, you can do

pip3 install pillow
md1702_gfx.py fromimage my.logo.png my.logo.txt
And then you may flash it using (patched) CPS through “Embeded message” (see password above in this forum) by placing the txt file into Data\PoweronPicture subfolder of your CPS installation. There is already one picture there (On1) but it seems to be broken.

Here are the default logos:
bao.logo rete.logo
Ideally start with them, as the image must have correct size to fit the display.

1 Like

Hola, Muchas Gracias!! pude conectarme a la radio y ahora puedo programarla. Se reconoce como RT72 y la versión del fw muestra DM-1702-V2.2primera rt72
Muchas gracias!!!

Is Boafeng DM-X equal from the hardware with Retevis RT72. Is there a way if equal to update the DM-X with firmware V02.02.022 with a firmware that it is a RT72 ?
Sorry, maybe some think this are stupid questions, but I am not so happy with the current situation with my DM-X. Or are the any other ways to improve my DM-X to import a codeplug or csv-files in a easy way.
Thanks for your time and answers.
73, de DC6RD

As far as I can tell, the RT-72 V02.02.23 I have posted above is a continuation of DM-X V02.02.22. But it does not support CSV contacts. For that you need the L version as mentioned earlier (and I had not tested it on DM-X). Importing CSV contacts in it is possible, but the protocol has changed and you need to use RT-72 CPS 1.00.02 (that SW should theoretically also support import/export of repeater data). Both use the same codeplug format, but cannot cross-open the files of each other (there is Model is wrong message if you try).

If there is a way of dumping the L05.01.004 firmware, or some other version of L firmware becomes available on-line, we could check the compatibility. Both of them seem to be the same hardware.

Buenas noches. El Baofeng 1703B que reconoce como RT72. versión de firmware DM-1702-V2.2.
Lo he programado y cuando quiero transmitir a una repetidora digital da el siguiente mensaje : “BS Link…” y luego de un (1) segundo, da otro error : “BS ACT Timeout”. Y no puedo comunicarme con la repetidora. Qué significa ese error ? Cómo se puede solucionar ? Desde ya muchas gracias!!

Hello,
it is said several times in this forum: “BS ACT timeout” means you were not able to communicate with the repeater - the radio did not receive any reply from it:

• You are out of its range
  • The repeater is for D*, FM, etc. and does not support DMR mode
  • You have set some parameter of the repeater wrong (e.g. wrong color code value is a common error)
  • You are using e.g. the hotspot in single-frequency mode (talkaround) and you are using repeater setting

Hello people.
i signed up because i saw all the problems your having.

i have a 1702 only a few months old.
and yes, it says 1702 on the sticker.

it came with firmware 02.02.023
this is real baofeng firmware and it works just fine.
you must use CPS v1.00.79 or higher.

i dumped the firmware using the software from OK2MOP.

any cable problems are caused by windows trash usb handling.
that is providing you use a micro-usb cable or the correct kenwood style cable.
these radio’s wont work with the cable intended for analog radio’s - there is no chip in the correct cables!

if anybody wants the firmware or cps then just ask - i think it’s against the rules for me to post it.

Hi, this is Reinhard. I am interessted in FW and CPS, can you please send to my email DC6RD@ARCOR.DE.

Thanks, 73 de DC6RD

Could you send me the firmware/codeplug to graffix.420@gmail.com? Thanks!