Baofeng DM-X DMR

If the drivers are in the install folder - it’s always worth updating the windows ones with them. You often get warned they are older, do you want to proceed - which is exactly what you did want to do - older functioning ones. If it doesn’t work now, re-installing older drivers can’t make it any worse.

Is there a proper spot I can locate all of the software, drivers etc. I need for this DM-X? I keep seeing a million different things all over the net. It would be great if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks very much for your help.
:slight_smile:

I’ve just stuck this on my server - is it what you have?http://www.limelight.org.uk/DM-X.rar

See if that works. warning - I have AVG on my computer and it grabs it and isolated it while it checks it and then takes a while to unlock it. P

Working on it right now with the files you dropped. Thanks so much.
I have firmware .23 so I’m wondering if that is the problem. I am going to try a few more times with what you posted for files and if that doesn’t work I’m going to try an alternate laptop. If that doesn’t work. I’m going to shoot it with a gun lol :joy:
Thanks so much for your help.
If you can think of anything else please let me know.

I tried multiple cables, computers, software versions and I absolutely can’t get anything to read this freaking radio. I can’t believe this. How hard should this be ???

Keep trying different computers maybe one will work? It’s also worth trying the plug. I have one kenwood nexedge that needs the connector a couple of mm out, not pushed firmly in.

I put the cps on a stick and will be trying it on a very old windows 7 laptop shortly to see if that does it. I’ve tried everything with the cables. I’ve tried pushing them in harder and holding but not leaving it out a bit. Plus I thought if the computer was picking it up as a device that it should be ok, which it is??? Strange stuff. I will let you know how the old PC works. I’ve used all laptops so far as that’s all I have. Wondering if a home PC would be different. Will take it to my fathers and try it there if I still have no luck.
I will keep plugging away. I don’t give up easily lol.
I’ve programmed hundreds of radios before for Motorola and many others. Never ever had issues like this.

Hi guys.
Why not try a ZADIG . It would probably help with installing the correct driver. It also works for win 7 and win 10. It helped me with a usb device USB to TTL levels. I’m using win 10 and didn’t want to install the driver by default or with an update. He helped me.
I hope I’ve been helpful. https://zadig.akeo.ie/
Greetings LZ1INP 73!

I’ve tried this. It changed or updated the driver. The computer seems to still recognize and install the radio as a printer but now I’m getting a different error “ connect radio failed”. Difference now is that the radio doesn’t even try to go into programming mode like it did before. Me=frustrated :frowning:

I have a feeling that after the spring (last bought by me) this year all talkies of this model are not good. As I wrote in a previous post, I decided to change the concept. I have been using Anyone AT-D878UV for 2 weeks now. It is better and easy to program. Win 10 recognizes it as a serial device.
There are many devices on the internet. It is a matter of choice and finances to choose the right one.

It appears you are correct. I didn’t have the finances to purchase the anytone 878uv. I wish I would have known before I sunk my money into this hunk of junk. I guess I made an expensive mistake. Be nice if Baofeng would acknowledge my emails. Interesting. I wonder if they will ever get back to me. Ugh.

Don’t worry, there is no need for dramas. To get to Anytone, I gave money for 4 such baofengs. Everyone has had and still has their own problem. On one the audio, on the other the power, on the third does not accept the latest version .22, on the fourth the battery, etc.
As a recent radio amateur (since April 2019) I learned a lot and I continue. I am currently in 2nd grade. I plan to develop up to 1st grade. This is the highest class for amateur radio in Bulgaria. I believe that baofeng is a cheap and affordable radio for beginners. Yes, it creates problems, but it also makes us do more. That is exactly why I continue. I hope so do you. To my delight, there was no problem with programming (recognition, reading and writing).
All these problems helped me in my next choice. It took me a day to read what was going on, to program, to make contacts with ID …
Wishing success. If you decide to own Anytone, I will help you in any way you can with program, ID… :grinning:

Appreciate that very much. Will see if my wife allows me to purchase an anytone. I just tried it on a windows XP machine and the exact same results. It must be the radio. I’m debating and wondering if I should try and downgrade the unit firmware to .22 or .19 from .23 and see if that helps? I won’t be able to go back to .23 because I can’t read and save a copy and there is NO known copy of .23 available on the internet. Makes me wonder how it ever got upgraded in the first place. ???

I GOT IT!!

I downgraded the firmware to .19 and it worked like a charm.
I did try to go down to .22 but after the downgrade it stayed in a blank black screen and wouldn’t boot so I went down to .19. Immediately after I installed .19 I was able to read and write with BOTH the Micro USB and the 2 pin K connector.
I don’t see much differences so far in the downgraded firmware either. GPS still works fine and gets a signal fairly fast still. Some of the screens are a bit different but overall it seems ok.
Hopefully this will all help someone else if they run into this situation with a DM-X.
I’m not sure why the .23 firmware would not work with the CPS??? Unless the .23 firmware is supposed to work with a different version of the CPS that isn’t available yet (or we couldn’t find???) I did try the .78 CPS (MD) software and it didn’t work either so who knows. I’m still hoping that Baofeng will return one of my emails and let me know what the issue is (if they know).
Thanks again all!
Nick
Va3NDP

Great news and worth wider exposure! Brilliant solution.

1 Like

Thanks again for all your help.

:smiley: go go go :laughing:

lol I ended up being able to upgrade again from .19 to .22 and it still able to read and write without any issues at all. YAHOO! There must have been something fundamentally wrong with the .23 firmware causing the unit not read or write. Hopefully others will see this and it will help them through all these issues so they don’t throw the HT against a perfectly good wall :laughing:.

Hello,
if the question was on me (I am Pavel, not Pawel, I am not Polish) I am replying, but unfortunately with 10+h a day workload and all the teleconferences with my university students, I don’t have much time to play with the radio (in fact, I did not turn it on since July).

What you see in the image is probably either using Python 3 and missing some imported module (if run from command line it should give you and error during start) or loading a module where you installed some “placeholder” instead. I have used only PyUSB (with libusb), dateutil and pillow modules so it should not be a problem identifying the correct one. On .22 I was using the GFX mod on several radios.

Concerning the problems with .023, I don’t use it so I don’t know. But maybe they changed the really slow communication protocol to something working like other DMR radios which requires a different CPS as somebody already mentioned?

Regards
Pavel, OK2MOP

PS: I cannot find .23 FW for Baofeng DM-X, maybe the seller extracted it from Retevis RT-72 and flashed the DM-X? If so, the communication might have become broken because of that. I would suggest trying to use the CPS for RT-72 from Retevis web site, it you still have some radio with .23 FW. The only (and significant) difference between these firmwares I am aware of is the possibility to use CSV contacts instead of recording the DMR calls in .23

Excellent suggestion. I did download the the Rt-72 CPS and that didn’t work on .23 either. The only thing that worked was downgrading the firmware to .22! I’ve not been able to find one instance of a downloadable version of .23 either.
I agree that it must have been flashed as well and not tested on any of the current DM-X / 1702 CPS’s.