I need help with bf-9700

Hi I bought a bf-9700 how do I connect it to a unidan walkie talkie and also how can a talk and hear without a earpiece thank you

To answer your questions, we need more information. What model of Uniden radio are you trying to communicate with, and does the front speaker not work?

Hi Rick the model number for unidan is UH510-2 I am not if the front speaker works because I can’t test it

I got the unidan is UH510-2 I tried to get it to communicate with the bf-9700 but it won’t they are both on the same channel and also do I have to use the earpiece with the bf-9700

Thank you please help

Matt, your questions are acknowledged. There is no need to double post, especially in the same thread.

First, I searched for the Uniden UH510-2 online and discovered it is manufactured specifically for Australia CB and New Zealand PRS frequencies. This is an international forum community of sorts, and we’re based in the US, so CB radio is different here, as it is in various parts of the world. As such, we don’t use the UH510-2 in this country.

According to the manual, which, in case you don’t have one, is easily available for download from Uniden Australia’s web site, the UH510-2 is an 80 channel handheld radio and operates on UHF frequencies between 476-477 MHz. I know this because I downloaded the manual for your radio myself and looked up the Australian CB frequency table online.

The BF-9700 operates on UHF frequencies from 400-520 MHz, so technically, they should be able to talk to each other. However, unlike the Uniden, in which the frequencies are hard programmed at the factory to their assigned channels, the BF-9700 needs to be programmed, which means the channels are not assigned to frequencies. You need to program the BF-9700 and assign a frequency to each channel.

In other words, the BF-9700 doesn’t just work out of the box, you need to program it first.

To answer your question about earpieces, nearly every handheld two way radio has a built-in speaker, which is the default listening mode. If it also has an audio port for an earpiece, you can use it as an option. When you plug the earpiece into the radio, it disengages the built-in speaker for private listening. If you unplug the earpiece from the unit, the radio re-engages with the front speaker and you can hear the audio from there. That’s pretty much all there is to it.

The short answer is, if you want to hear audio from the front speaker in the radio, unplug the earpiece, or simply don’t plug one in.

Tbh Rick he might just be better off getting another uniden or another baofeng and have a pre matched pair, I only say this with no intention of being rude to Matt but he would appear to have little or no idea about equipment technicalities thank god he’s not trying dmr

1 Like

Hey Rick I am getting a program cable for bf-9700 would that help me

A programming cable is only a part of the equation. You also need the programming software. You will need to obtain that from the manufacturer of the radio.

Having said that, I highly recommend that you check with the agency that governs the airwaves in your country before attempting this. The BF-9700 may not be legal for the frequencies you are attempting to use in your area, or those frequencies may require a license. Some countries may not be strict about using them, others are. In fact, the latest episode of our Two Way Radio Show Podcast covered this in some detail. You may want to give it a listen first before using this radio on those frequencies.

Thanks I will do that

1 Like

Hi Rick I got the program cable for the bf-9700 is there and video how to program it I want to study it first

We don’t carry the BF-9700 so we’ve never created a video for it. We do have video tutorials for programming some radios we carry, but they are specific to those models.

OK thanks Rick can you please send the videos you have

matt - Rick did explain that this is territory specific, so he doesn’t have exactly what you need? you do need to do some of the effort yourself - you can’t get what you need off the shelf without spending time learning how to do it. If you own a programmable radio, then you need to do some upskilling to really understand what the parameters are, and what they do. This is what we’ve all had to get our heads around. Every time I buy a new radio, they’re different - so you need to fire up the software and see if you can transfer to the radio. Ask specifics, but I don’t think any youtube video that has different settings and parameters can help you, if you don’t understand how to replace 451.625 CTCSS 62.5 with 471.725 CTCSS 72 and allocate send/receive and other things?

1 Like

I have just downloaded the software and the manual for the bf 9700 and it looks quite basic and straightforward fo if you would like me si send you the RAR containing this then send me an email to timfrangopulo@aol.com and I shall attach both the software and the manual in a reply.

You are quite right Paul I spend half my life programming radios and quite enjoy it, from basic through to codeplugs however I do remember the first time and it was a little intimidating but if Matt gets the program up and running I have no problem talking him through the principles

Every radio is different, but there are some common denominators. Of course, the game changes a bit when moving from analog to digital radios, and the digital models tend to be considerably more complicated, but I think it is mostly because it doesn’t seem as intuitive, especially with the Chinese import DMR models.

I’m experiencing this now, as a matter of fact, with a certain import DMR/analog hybrid radio. Although I’ve used DMR radios, and I own a couple, I primarily use and program analog radios, so sorting through the digital radio programming software has been an interesting experience so far. It is especially frustrating since it is a fairly new model, there is almost no documentation available for it, and what little I can find is translated from Chinese.

The purpose of this exercise is to figure it all out so I can create tutorials to show everyone else how to do it in an easy to digest way. I have a background and experience with tech, so it shouldn’t be an issue, but when I’m dealing with something that I didn’t build or create, with little help or documentation from the manufacturer that did, and there is translation to boot, it can be a challenge.

So, I can fully appreciate the confusion and frustration from a radio operator who is struggling to comprehend the concept of programming some of these radios. I’ve been there myself.

That transition from analogue to digital gave me nightmares at first but like you I have struggled through it and got most of mine working the way I should like. One interesting fact (if true) is that 99% of the Chinese DMR radio manufacturers apparently use the same software development house and hence most CPS’s are pretty much the same with small variants. Interestingly enough the Kenwood NXDN units have a different approach in their conventional programming, you get a grid much like the analogue gear and you imply choose analogue NXDN or both (it senses the signal type) far simpler than other CPs’s for DMR maybe one day someone will simplify it all but I won’t hold my breath. My next mission is to work out trunking but only when I have me head back in gear.

Hi Tim I have the cable and the software for bf-9700 is it easy to program

Matt I cannot respond to your email via the forum use your own email to communicate with me so I can reply, and ultimately guide you through the process if you still need it. timfrangopulo@aol.com

OK I just emailed you