XPR6850 Firmware, cloning and other

Hello,

I am a newbe to programming, so please don’t go slamming me PLEASE. I know I don’t understand so I don’t need to be asked “why the heck did you do that” like I was on my first post on here.

I got a new (well old but new to me) XPR6850 and trying to clone it to match my other radios but get several warnings. The radios are the same make and model, but only noticed the firmware is different.

Warnings when trying either to write to the radio or cloning it:

1. When trying to write to radio from another radio’s codeplug: Error #1638 Unable to write. Serial number in archive and device must be same. Try clone device if applicable.
  2. When trying to clone radio: Error #1025 The connected device in not supported by the application.

Can anyone (a) tell me where I can get the firmware to update these Motorola retired radio firmware to get this to at least match, (b) how to get this radio to clone since I am getting the errors, and © what these error codes mean. I can write to the radio I want to clone, but nothing other than simple changes in the original codeplug.

Thanks,
Brad

Would help to know what radios you are trying to clone from. I’m also assuming the radio you are cloning from is an XPR6580 (which is a 800/900 MHz radio).

Anyway when using the CPS write function, the target radio’s serial number must match (it’s a Motorola thing). When using the clone function, the model numbers must match (if dealing with Motorola’s P25 radios…the model numbers and flashcodes must match) and that is likely one of the two issues you could be dealing with.

If it’s a firmware issue…the source codeplug also has to be the same or older than the target radio as this keeps you from blowing in a codeplug which the target radio may not have feature definitions for. Firmware updating is done via Device>Update in the workbar of CPS. You may also need the firmware .exe file if you don’t already have them (they have to be downloaded from MOL unless you know someone who can provide them for you).

Thanks for the help zap_p25.

You were right in what I am trying to clone from. It turns out I was doing everything correctly, but it had a bad rotary knob (what ever that means). Once I got that fixed, I was able to clone as normal.