Wouxun KG-UV9PX

So I’m looking to buy a radio. Either GMRS or Ham or both and I’ve been reading a bit and had a question I’m not sure anyone here may have answer or input on.

If one were to have a Ham radio such as a Wouxun KG-UV9PX which I believe on high can Tx on up to 8-9 watts and allows one to only listen to GMRS and it were unlocked could this radio hypothetically speaking in a SHTF scenario:

1. Transmit at 8-9 watts on all the 22 GMSR channels and 8 repeater channels?

Well - I’m a Brit, but GMRS has a 50W maximum on 16 channels, less on the others. So, I guess this means that while you can transmit higher powers than you are allowed in your juridiction, you’re happy operating illegally, and if you’re happy doing that, then you could transmit any power you like. If you are a law abiding citizen then there are rules to follow - hence why the USA locks down radios for certain users. If you are a ham you get all sorts of allowances, but also more responsibility.

Yes. Then my other option would get a GMRS like a Wouxun UVP or 10G and maybe a Yaesu Vx6 for Ham use. Lots to research

Hypothetically speaking, yes.

1 Like