What radios do you use?

I’m not sure I would agree with that. I think it depends on what you want out of the hobby and what you want to learn.

There are many facets to amateur radio and many different directions you can go. The old adage that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure rings true, especially in this hobby. If that were not the case, we wouldn’t have flea market style hamfests, or perhaps any hamfests at all.

The best way to learn about amateur radio is by doing. The best way to do it is to Get On The Air. The best way to GOTA? any way you can. It doesn’t matter if you have a $6,000 Icom base station or a little $40 ht. If you can transmit a decent signal that others can hear, no one knows what you are using to transmit with.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter how cheap or great your rig is. What matters is that you learn how to do it, you practice doing it properly and you do it.

I do not have an engineering firm.

Well Rick, I think that back when the people had the attitude that you had to operate in order to keep your license, we had more hams.
When the equipment was more expensive, it lead to more people experimenting and learning by doing.
When we had Elmers - we had people that could guide new hams as to the proper way to operate. The problem today is that the people with the walkietalkies confuses ham radio with telephone and they talk just for the sake of talking and there is no content to their conversations.
To make themselves appear as being hams, some will include their seventy three’s and Q codes such as QSL - when in fact they don’t even know what QSL stands for.

I have been around radio a long time - more then 40 years.
I have seen it come and I have seen it go.

I knew a fine young gentleman who was a Eagle Scout that earned his General Class license and did not have the resources to buy the more expensive equipment. This fellow was proud of his accomplishments -which he had every right to do so. I talked with him on the radio several times and was impressed by his enthusiasm.

We have a linked repeater system here and a group of people that runs the system that started their own club and tried to do ham radio things.
They went so far as to have a JOTA party and invited a bunch of scouts to come to their clubhouse and participate.

When this licensed ham offered to come over and help with the kids and said that he could bring his walkie talkie with him, he was told not to come - because they already had it covered.
What he couldn’t understand was why he was not invited to come over and participate.

The reason was because they already had a radio set up on the WAN frequency and having another radio that could only hit their repeater was of no benefit to them.

I think, had they invited him over and gave him something to do with the scouts that he would still be on the air today. But after being shunned because he only had a walkie talkie, and because a walkie talkie doesn’t do anything except talk to the one local repeater it can hit, that it stymied him and he put his walkie talkie away and never returned to the club or the radio again.

We need to teach these people about radios, how they work, the proper way to use them and feed lines - since radios don’t work without a feed line. Antenna’s - since the antenna does most of the work - which is basically what you said about beam antenna’s, or at least getting the antenna outside. It is very important to teach these things today - so we don’t end up with a bunch of know nothings tomorrow.

I have even heard people go so far as to say that it was ok to buy a walkie talkie and then spend additional money on a amplifier so it will talk further.
This in my opinion is counter productive, since the cost of a good radio is in line with the cost of a Mirage amplifier, why include an amplifier when you can do the same thing with a 50 watt mobile and have a real radio?

Maybe I am getting off on the wrong foot here and maybe I will be crucified like Jesus Christ for saying the truth, but I don’t think that it is ok to mislead people into believing that it is ok to just buy a walkie talkie and get on the air. After all, this is amateur radio, not amateur walkie talkie.

I was not misleading anyone. I think you misinterpreted what I said to mean that all you need is a walkie talkie and you’re an expert ham. That isn’t what I’m saying at all and that isn’t what I was taught to understand what amateur radio is about.

What I am saying is that all the technical training is great, but it is only one part of what amateur radio is. You can pass all the exams and know all the answers (no one knows all the answers and anyone who thinks they do is only an expert at narcissism) but none of it does any good if you don’t get out there and experience it.

Starting off with an HT is an inexpensive and effective way to get your feet wet learning the etiquette, protocols and the rules of operating on the air. If you’re new at it all, it’s much better to break the ice, make the mistakes and learn from them with the local hams than to start transmitting mistakes half way around the world on your first contacts.

As far as the technical end goes, I would much rather fry a $40 handheld experimenting with antennas and feed lines than burn out the finals on an expensive HF rig. I definitely couldn’t afford to do that, and I doubt there are many others who could.

You said it yourself:

I think that back when the people had the attitude that you had to operate in order to keep your license, we had more hams.
When the equipment was more expensive, it lead to more people experimenting and learning by doing.

The problem is, the equipment - that is, what some seasoned hams consider “real” radios - is still expensive, and with today’s inflation, even more expensive than it used to be. I think most new hams you talk to today will tell you that if they had the choice, they would rather ragchew on some of those radios than on a little “disposable” chinese radio, but it simply isn’t in the budget. Does that mean they shouldn’t be practicing on the air? Of course not! Is there some rule that requires one to own a high-end multi-band radio to be considered a “legitimate” amateur operator? Ridiculous. That is nothing more than elitism.

Now, do I believe that one should just get a license and starting connecting feed lines to homemade antennas to trees in their back yards and start pumping out the wattage without understanding the basics and without consulting with an Elmer first? No, but then I’ll ask this:

How many amateurs eighty years ago even had an Elmer? How many of them knew what we know today about antennas? How many of them fully understood the proper way to use them and feed lines?

Not very many, because they were still experimenting.

I’ll bet not very many of them even knew all their Q Codes, since amateurs were still in the process of adopting them at that point.

After all, this is amateur radio, not amateur walkie talkie.

And this is the real issue. It isn’t really about what you can do with the hobby, or what you can learn from it in the long term, or even what your potential contribution to ham radio can be, if it is encouraged properly. It’s all about sizing up who is a “real” ham and who should and shouldn’t be on the air based on what type of radio they do or do not have.

It’s all about attitude.

No, I will tell you from personal experience why hams come and go and why the ham population and experience (or lack of it) is what it is today. The reality is there is a perception of hams that discourages many from getting into the hobby or sticking with it - and it is a certain minority of the hams themselves that are the root cause of it.

I didn’t jump into ham radio when I was younger for two basic reasons: One was the perceived financial barrier to entry, the idea that I had to invest hundreds or even thousands into a “real” radio that I couldn’t afford. The other reason? My rig is better than your little homemade breadboard - a walkie talkie isn’t a real radio - some things never change.

Most of the amateurs I’ve met since then are very nice, very helpful and welcomed my son and me into the hobby with open arms. According to the ARRL and the amateur radio community as a whole, that’s what the hobby is all about.

Unfortunately, there are a few hams who don’t agree with that philosophy. They have a very poor attitude towards new hams and anyone else who doesn’t “know it all” as they do. They talk condescendingly to those who ask questions and put down anyone who isn’t already “experienced” with preconceived labels and insults, with their noses in the air. They are not the majority of hams I know, but I have met a few. They are out there and it is this negative attitude that has turned more than one aspiring amateur or new ham away and gives all amateurs a bad name.

My son and I were fortunate. We found that most of the hams in our area are the nicest, most helpful and unassuming group of people we’ve ever met and they all help us and encourage us to go as far as we can or want to go with the hobby. No more Elmers? On the contrary, there are still a lot of Elmers around. My son has one and so do I. We’re learning a lot from them, and believe it or not, they are also learning from us, because nobody knows it all.

Most of these folks have been in radio for decades, some for half a century or more. And guess what? A lot of them carry around the little chinese handhelds. Why? Because they use their radios outside their shacks as well as inside. They are light, inexpensive, and they work. Stuff happens to radios in the field. If they lose or break it, no big deal. They aren’t out a $200-$300 radio that will do the same thing.

In the case of your Eagle Scout friend, it proves my point about the negative attitude of elitism among some old hams. You can’t blame it on a “walkie talkie”. It’s just a device. The problem has nothing to do with his equipment or lack of it. The real problem is attitude, and the blame lies squarely on one or more individuals in a group with poor attitudes and a bias against what limited resources your friend had available, which is exactly what I am talking about. It is this sort of snooty, materialistic attitude that discourages more people from getting into amateur radio and encourages others to quit.

Some of these old hams have completely forgotten what it was like to be a new ham, or that they also had to learn as they went along. A few of them act like they were born with the knowledge or that there was a time when they, too, had only the bare necessities to Get On The Air. Tubes, basic solid state circuits, they used whatever they had at the time. Today we have transceivers on chips. Technology has moved forward, but the process is the same. No doubt if this technology existed fifty years ago, most hams would have used it instead, because it would be what was available. Most, if not all of them would, at least to get started. Anyone who says otherwise would only be kidding themselves.

Ham radio isn’t just about what you know or what you don’t. It’s about how you use it. There are so many directions you can go with it. Some use it for DXing. I have no interest in DXing. My interest is primarily in short range communications and local emergency weather preparedness. My son wants to do it for fun and the overall experience. Does that make my son or me any less an amateur radio operator than anyone else? Of course not. After all, amateur radio is a hobby. Why would anyone want to have a hobby if it isn’t fun?

I am fully in agreement with Rick on this one.

A “real” ham radio, is ANY radio a ham uses. Period. A “Real Ham” is any licensed amateur radio operator. Period.

Anyhow. My first radio was an HT. What did I do with it? Well, I immediately began seeing what I could do with it. Next thing you know, I have it hooked up to outside antennas I constructed. Had a 35 watt amplifier I could use on the base antenna, or mobile. As time went on, this led me to purchasing mobile rigs, more HTs, and finally an HF rig. I (temporarily out of service) run an Echolink node, am heavy into SSTV and psk31. I like communicating via satellites, and have even made ISS contacts… (Yes, been there, done that, got the QSL card)

The simple HT was nothing more than a stepping stone to greater things.

Many folks might intend only to have an HT, but after a while, what they hear others getting into, they will try new and more varied things, too. I lot of what I am involved in came from listening to repeater chatter.

some people will lose interest, and go away. some will become the leaders in the hobby in the future.

This thread went way off-topic. Posts were moved out of this thread to keep the peace and keep it on track.

I would also like to remind members that this is a friendly forum. Constructive debates are welcome. Trolling, personal attacks, profanity or politically charged comments intended to incite flaming are not allowed and will not be tolerated. Let’s keep it family friendly, folks.

:smiley: someone post the review about GT-3 on youtube and i have bought one from ebay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zap9N4XN6gcsound

I have one ,Zastone D9000, as I just bought it ,so I don’t know how to use it.But it looks very well. Hope a few days later I will know how to use it ,and it works well. No matter what we use ,as we like ,that’s enough.

According to your FB profile, you work for Zastone.

Seems to be a copy-and-paste spammer, as his advice is decidedly unspecific and unhelpful.

Shame on Zastone for marketing their radios by setting up fake accounts on internet forums.

Are you ready for this? In the seven years I’ve been a licensed ham, I’ve acquired the following radios:

14 different handhelds, including two Wouxun, three Yaesu, two Alinco, one Baofeng, two Audiovox (GMRS), one Heathkit, one McDonald (CB) and two Radio Shack FRS. I also have two Radio Shack handheld scanners.

I have six different mobile radios; one 6 meter Alinco, two Yaesu Fusion, a Yaesu FT-8900R (in a go-kit), and two Yaesu FT-7900R (one in another go-kit and one surplus, which may go to a friend for his Jeep.)

For HF, I have an iCom IC-751A, a Heathkit HW101 and a Heathkit SB-102.

The collection is rounded out with a Radio Shack Realistic DX-150A Short Wave Receiver.

Yes,but I have never say every one should buy the products from us. Being is truth. As we use more and more car radios,we will find the one we like. Isn’t it?

You missed the point. In a previous post, you said that: a) you bought a Zastone radio, and b) you don’t know how to use it. Neither statement was true. When you come on an online forum and pretend ignorance in order to tout the advantages of a radio, when it turns out you work for the company, is known as deceptive marketing practices.

Because you work for Zastone, you could have simply come in here to talk about radios and answer questions people may have. I am sure the forum hosts would have no issues with that. Instead, you tried to deceive us, and this makes Zastone look bad as far as their marketing practices are concerned.

Just out of curiosity, why do you say the Yaesu FT-8900R is junk? I just bought a used one and it’s doing everything I asked of it. I just used it to run net control for a county-wide hospital drill for the local ARES group and it worked perfectly.

I have seven other Yaesu radios, both HT and mobile and they all have given me excellent service.

EDIT: Well, that was a pointless post. I didn’t notice the post was from 2013 and that the OP was banned. Oh, well…

It doesn’t matter. As a user to be honest is important. At the same time, once person use a radio or other device,he could not say this product is low quality if only he thinks so.We should not say a man is bad only because he is impolite.What I hope for is that we all seek truth from facts and exchange views. That way, the discussion is meaningful. The discussion helped some of us, that is the forum’s original purpose!

The problem is that you said this:

I have one ,Zastone D9000, as I just bought it ,so I don’t know how to use it.

This is NOT honest. You may have bought a radio from your employer, but why tell the world that you do not know how to work it? Does this mean Zastone employees do not understand the products they make and sell? This we find impossible, or perhaps not correct. I do not believe Yaesu or Icom would allow an employee to join a forum, and pretend not to be able to work their products?

If you represent Zastone, and cannot understand your own products then this is bad. You should not tell everyone they are too complicated to understand, as you make them? If you cannot work them, how is anyone else to believe they can work them?

You should have said - I work for Zastone and our D9000 is very good - which may well be true. If you do not say you work for Zastone and say it is very good, this is not honest.

Yes,what you said is mostly right.As a green hand, I really don’t known how to use it,it is my mistake.But please don’t say that Zastone is what what,that is not appropriate, nor polite.As I never use it,it is just here,so I will not say it is good,unless the buyer who bought ZT-D9000 told me.You can delegate yourself,but I can’t delegate a company.I only show my attitude,never boast as a employee of our company.

I saw many of you use Yaesu,Icom,Motorola.I just want to know if you use other radios, as they are not so popular?