UV5R's where factory reset & are clones

My two UV5R clones have been factory reset but won’t communicate using PTT.
What am I doing wrong?

Taking the FCC Tedhnician License course but there is nothing in the program that says anything about why they won’t communicate, so I submitted a question & wondering if I couldn’t get the answer quicker here.
Thanks in advance.

You mean you have two radios that won’t communicate with each other? Three things to check. Frequency. You sure each radio has the same one in the display? Shift - are you certain they are BOTH set to no repeater shift? Lastly, tones. Ideally CTCSS switched off, so it’s relying on the RF to open the squelch.

Factory resets may, may not actually reset everything. Sometimes memories and stuff get left behind, so stick it into VFO mode so you type in the frequency. Not the memories. I think you may need to do a bit more study to get a hang on the requirements of the licence. The test is a gatekeeper, not really educational. That’s not what it’s for. If you know some busy local frequencies, that are in use all the time, try these - we don;t have them in the UK, but your weather broadcasts are very useful, I’m told. If they both receive these types of things, you know the receivers are good, so then try a frequency that you are allowed to use, and try the transmit side of things.

memofies cleared manually by me.
been there done that, what you said.

Memories deleted, Reset complete. still no joy.

Lesson said to manually input a specific freq, can’t remember what that was without backtracking to Lesson plan unless you remember what it was?

146.430 on both radios in VFO mode.

all other options & offset are OFF.

When you turn down the squelch, the radio starts to hiss loudly? Yes? What happens when you then transmit on the other radio? Usually, you’d just get loads of feedback when they howl round. Silence is not good. Does the radio receiving display anything even though it doesn’t make a noise? Same on the TX radio - does the display indicate it is doing something? turn off the squelch on both so they are both hissing sway. This should mean they are listening on the indicated frequency - pressing tx on either should produce something on the other radio - hopefully audio, but doing nothing means despite you thinking you have everything off, something is set wrong.

Okay, you through a lot at me for a complete beginner.
FYI I’m extremely disabled twice recovered from neck down paralysis by the grace of God.
I had to teach myself how to do simple math/talk/type all over again like a child.
Typing is extremely difficult for me b/c my hands & fingers don’t work right anymore.
I have zero feeling on right side of my body & still partially paralyzed on the left side of my body. I’m extremely mobilty limited & can’t reach my feet, having special shoes & laces that I have to take off & tie on my lap since I can’t bend over or kneel yet withou extreme pain.

I turned sql down to zero on both radios & the noise is loud with purple screen, green light on both units which I’m assuming indicates reception.

Turnes S back up to 1 to cut out the noise.
nothing happens when I PTT button.
What do you mean by pressing tx? I that the talk button?
Sorry I’m so stupid, but I have brain damage & memory loss from a TBI in 1976 & forgot everything, even my childhood from that time to before.
This is agrivated by my stroke & the meds i’m on.
Apologies, but I’m basically Joe Biden but not evil.

I understand if you don’t want to help me, i’m very difficult to work with, but many thanks in advance for helping me thus far & showing grace & mercy to an idiot.

Acording to setup instructions on the video they should be communicating now, but no joy so far.
Again thx for your patients,you’ve blessed me today.

Are both radios in the same room when you are testing them? There needs to be a good distance between them to avoid overloading the receiver. As paullears suggested if you can put in a NOAA weather frequency to see if the radios are receiving that would be a way to tell if they are receiving. I don’t know where you live but in the US there are multiple weather frequencies. Try these: 162.400, 162.425, 162.450, 162.475, 162.500, 162.525, 162.550

One of those should work if you are in the US.

When you TX (abbreviation for transmit) by pressing the PTT, it should just transmit on your 146 frequency. In addition, the display should change to indicate transmit is active. On the other radio, the display should also indicate something is being received. If it is, then with the hiss heard, it should vanish when you press the PTT button. Does it?

Yep,that’s what the lesson plan demonstrated.
Not happening so far, all I see is a purple display when someone else is trying to transmit I assume.

Pick this up later, got surgery on my multiple ingrown toenails on both feet this morning that are a year overdue.
Should be painful, cant wait.

TTYL & thanks for the support.

Well, I got communication on any GMRS channels after doing a reset.
But when I program in the channel in the lesson (146.430) on both radios, it doesn’t work for some reason. Or any any channel for that matter…
Stupid.

Just displays GMRS1 etc GMRSx but have no idea what freq that is, just the GMRS channel #.

Don’t know how I’ll ever be able to continue the classes & get cert if I can’t copy what the lesson says.
Agrivating!

You mention lesson plan and classes? You are doing a course? Can you not ask the people running the course (real class or zoom) how to sort your problem. It’s very difficult at a distance without seeing what you are doing and seeing?