UV-5R Radio Problems

Hey so I am programming my radio to listen and transmit to a Retevis Radio and I can get the Retevis Radio transmitting to my Baofeng UV-5R but when I try and transmit I can only hear a beep on the frequency and I do have everything setup properly and it happens on every frequency other then the ones that came default with the radio. Help Please!

Type in one of the frequencies that were in it into the keypad (VFO mode) does that transmit. IF it does, then enter your frequency the retevis is on. If that is different, your Baofeng may simply be locked down - new US rules mean the old days of unboxing a radio and programming any frequency are gone - ham bands only. Most can of course be unlocked.

How can I unlock my Baofeng Radio then? I already tried CHIP and all it does it lock my radio down more to the point where I can’t even switch channels when I try to.

Hold PTT, VFO and Monitor buttons, and turn on - or something very similar to that.

I will try on my lunch break but the VFO and monitor buttons are going to be on the front of the 5R correct?

Nvm on this I got it unlocked Thanks for helping me out Paulears

Good you’re fixed up. P