Using GMRS on UV5R

Total UV5R newbie here. I am able to tune my brand new from Amazon UV5R to 462.562 and when I tune my other radio to the same frequency I am able to transmit and receive while in the same room. Does this mean that I do not need to “jailbreak” my UV5R to use GMRS or is it still necessary for full functionality?

Disclaimer!!! I know that it is illegal to transmit on the GMRS frequencies with the UV5R. I have no intention of using these radios for that purpose unless the SHTF. These radios will be charged and then stored in bug out bags in family cars with the hopes of never having to use them. But if I do and society is falling apart, then I’m using whatever frequency I can… Thanks in advance!

If you can transmit from it and receive back, you’ve done it. The legitimacy and approval that’s needed now, probably does evaporate if things break down. The only concern I’d have is batteries- the UV5R batteries seem to discharge just sitting on the shelf, so by the time you fish it out, it will be flat and if you can’t charge it …

1 Like