Texas Ranger696 Base No sound

I have a Texas Ranger 696 Base that I have no sound from.
That means no sound from Talk Back, Weather, PA, or Receive. My transmit is OK I know this because a friend has listened for me and we talked over the phone. I can see the receive needle moving when it should but I have no sound. I have looked inside the radio but don’t see anything out of place.
Anyone have any ideas. Thanks !

not knowing anything about your skill level or the test equipment you have available, the first thing I would suggest is trying an external speaker.

Thanks Obed

I have tried that. There is no sound from anything.

I really do thank you though. Its really hard to find people with the knowledge that really want to help others like this. So I am very grateful.

Thanks !

ok. What test equipment do you have available and do you have a service manual for the unit, or at least a block diagram?

Thanks Obed

I have only an Ohm and Volt meter. I would like to get the board Voltages. No manual of any kind.

Thanks !

To break it down, do you have anything that can amplify low level audio? A guitar amp, for example? Look for the volume control, and with a jack to bare ends cable, you can touch these onto the outer, or any combination really of the three terminals on the volume pot, with the volume set about half way - and you should hear sound - with the squelch open, a loud hiss as usual. If when you touch the two conductors you get a pop or click, this is normal, but if you do NOT hear the receiver audio, then the fault is earlier in the unit - in the discriminator and processing section, which to be honest is quite rare. I’d expect you to hear the hiss, proving the fault is between the in and out of the audio amplifier section. It’s possible to follow the signal path until it disappears - but only if you know what you are doing because obviously many of the devices there are across the power rail, and you don’t want to stick 5 or more volts into your guitar amp input! Not sure what you skill level (or courage level) is - but this is the way fault finders work, although they’d prefer using a scope which doesn’t mind the voltage element. Is there any chance you accidentally shorted the output. Maybe connecting an external speaker?