Semi-Retired Radio Tech

Hello all,

Though I would pop in and say hello. I’ve been lurking and listening to the Two-Way Radio Show podcast for about a year now and it had always been somewhat relaxing to just sit back and hear about some new and upcoming products without having to go to CPE or IWCE.

Anyway, a little about me…amateur radio operator who’s hobby lead to a career but I recently left one of the largest Motorola dealers in the world to sit back and relax with distributed WiFi networks (it’s less stress in my life which was greatly needed at the time) and I still help to manage a SMR and WISP on some of my spare time. While I worked in the Land Mobile Radio industry I specialized in infrastructure and wide area system interlinking. I have familiarity with with Simoco Xd DMR systems, Motorola MOTOTRBO systems, Icom IP Radio systems, and Motorola Astro 25 (Project 25) radio systems. My real love in RF is for P25 (I really like the protocol, especially in trunking) and master antenna systems.

Here to relax and continue learning. I will be more than happy to answer any questions about my experiences or technical questions as well.

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forum! Feel free to jump in and participate in the community.

As a semi retired tech in the field, you may be able to help me with a conundrum. I run a small radio hire business and by small I mean me and an assistant. accompanied by abut 70 portable radios which I am slowly moving over to DMR. Now what I should like to do is create an onscreen environment using a laptop, that is able to live monitor the back to back simplex channels we use on a particular job displaying the radio id, time and date as well as duration of an individual transmission much like the monitor facility that many dmr repeaters have, frankly I haven’t a clue where to start. Wonder if you might.

For open source, I would take a look at using either OP25 (runs in linux) or Trunk-Recorder (also, linux and based on OP25) with an appropriate SDR dongle (depending on how far apart your channels are). Those are likely the two lowest cost methods I can think of.

Of course, there are commercial logging options from the console manufacturers (not naming names as I am unaware if BTWR has access to these vendors) but with commercial support comes commercial pricing. Unfortunately the only real solutions I’m able to suggest are on opposite sides of the budget spectrum $$ to $$$$$.