SAMCOM FPCN30A For Church Usher/security

Trying to decide between a 6 pack of SAMCOM FPCN30A or Cobra PX650. They’re both around $350 for 6 pack. The issue is I heard the samcom screech a lot unless they’re very far away from eachother. There will be many instances where multiple ushers standing next to eachother and one of them will need to use the radio to talk to someone who’s further away. Will there be screeching noise and interference? Are these radios specifically designed for being used in 99% far proximity.? In my case it will be in close and far proximity so I need radios that are balanced for close proximity as well as they are for far proximity uses. Pastor gave me $300-$400 budget to work with so those seem to be the best. Our church is 20,000 sqft

My guess is that what people mean is they feedback - as in hear the other radio’s audio and you get howlround. Solution - move apart, turn down, or use earpiece.
I’ve never found any radio to behave badly near others - apart from plain ordinary audio feedback which happens with every brand when one radio is turned up. I don’t know the Samcom - but it looks better than the Cobra - less kids walkie-talkie looking.

The Samcom is advertised as a Part 90 (business class) radio, although with all the obscure language and fake reviews, I highly doubt it. But if it is, you will need a business licence from your regulating agency (FCC in the U.S. and IC in Canada.) You will need your own assigned radio frequency. Like most cheap Chinese radios, they come with default frequencies from the factory; all of which would not only be illegal to use but might also cause interference with business or public service users in your area.

Due to recent legislation, most countries require amateur radios be locked only to amateur frequencies. You cannot access FRS and GMRS frequencies on them, and I suspect the Samcom will be like that.

Unless you are intending on getting your own FCC or IC licence and your own assigned frequency (and the budget you are suggesting would not allow that) the biggest single piece of advice we can give you is to get a set of good FRS radios. They do not require a licence, as long as they stay under 2 watts, have a fixed antenna and use the public FRS frequencies.

The industry has responded to these regulations with some good quality FRS radios that will meet your needs. If they screech, just wear headsets or move away a few feet and they will be fine.

I would suggest you contact our forum hosts at buytwowayradios and see what they can do with that budget. Personally, I am a fan of the Wouxun KG-805F, plus it takes the very common Kenwood two-pin accessories such as headsets, where you can get some very decent surveillance headsets. The Cobra radios are fair quality, but they use a more proprietary Cobra single-pin accessory. Plus, they HIGHLY exaggerate their claims of range.

The Cobra radios are what we call “bubble-pack” radios, meaning they are sold at big box retailers and not by radio supply professionals. They are advertised as “42-mile” radios, which is a complete and utter falsehood. No UHF two-way FRS radio will go more than a few blocks at best. (42 miles would only be achieved if they were both on the top of two mountain peaks 42 miles apart and the antennas could literally see each other. Understand the best UHF handheld radio ever made, with the maximum wattage they could squeeze in, will not transmit beyond the curvature of the earth, which is about 4 miles with no obstructions in between.)

Just be aware that all your communications can be monitored by anyone else with an FRS or GMRS radio or any cheap scanner. The so called “privacy codes” do NOT increase the privacy of any of your communications. If this is acceptable to your group, we can offer suggestions on good FRS radios. If privacy is critical, you will need to spend a LOT more money and go with Motorola DLR radios (which cannot be monitored by any consumer-grade scanner) or your own business radios and assigned frequency (which can be monitored by consumer scanners.)

Hope this helps. let us know if you have further questions.

1 Like

Sorry that it took me that long to reply to your concern. This is Mike, the customer support associate at SAMCOM Radios.
Only when two SAMCOM radios distances are too close( like 1-3 feet) , it might cause interference and cause an annoying noise, we have sold this item for several years and I can assure you.
[Edited to remove solicitation in violation of the Forum Rules. Please read the Forum Rules before posting. - Forum Admin]

Thank you for your concern about the SAMCOM FPCN30A radios.

Yes, SAMCOM FPCN30A two way radios are UHF part 90 walkie talkies, the FCC ID is : 2AIOQ-FPCN30AA. Pre-program with 20 channels and CTCSS/DCS codes for easy use out of the box.

Since we get the FCC ID, which also means it is legal to use in the USA. I can send you the FCC documents to you if you are interested.

As per FCC requirement, all walkie-talkies above 2 watts require FCC license to operate, so if you are interested, then you might need to get a GMRS license to use this item.

[Edied to remove solicitations in violation of the Forum Rules. Please read the Forum Rules before posting. - Forum Admin]

Thank you “Mike” from Samcom for illustrating why the original poster should deal with a legitimate two-way radio dealer. Your Part 90 radios cannot legally operate on GMRS. Your Part 90 radios cannot legally be used right out of the box. Your Part 90 radios will actually be interfering with businesses who are assigned to those random frequencies you have preprogrammed into them, and possibly even interfering with public safety radios.

Kinda makes your radios look bad and Samcom’s customer service to be uninformed and deceptive. All the untrue statements in your ads also call into question the legitimacy of all your positive “reviews.” Exactly what I said above.

I stand by what I said six months ago.

We are open to hearing every voice about the opinion of the SAMCOM radios, but what makes you said the SAMCOM radios “cannot legally operate on GMRS. Your Part 90 radios cannot legally be used right out of the box. Your Part 90 radios will actually be interfering with businesses who are assigned to those random frequencies you have preprogrammed into them, and possibly even interfering with public safety radios.”.
What is your basis for these judgments ? Could you please show me the evidence? Why FCC department prove SAMCOM FPCN30A but you still deny it ? Would you mind sharing it with us?

Not my job. I am not the FCC. If you don’t know where to look up where your Part 90 radios are illegal to use on the frequencies you advertise, it’s not my job to tell you.

I did look up the FCC ID and the radio is indeed type accepted for Part 90.

There are a couple of things to note here about FCC rules in the US that you may not be familiar with. Some radios above 2 watts do not require an FCC license to operate. These include CB radios as well as Marine radios that are operating domestically on voluntary ships vessels are licensed by rule, meaning they do not require a license to operate. Both types of radios are usually over 2 watts.

Also, Part 90 applies to business radios, and require a business radio license. A GMRS license is for operating a GMRS radio only, which is Part 95. That’s a different type of radio.

Thank you so much for telling me that. Yes, our understanding of FCC is still a bit lacking, I took part in this forum to increase my knowledge of two-way radio.

1 Like