req KG-UV920P unlock

I need the unlock software for this radio PLEASE.I bought it from a dealer where it was locked to ham bands only (not knowing this). I need to use it on other freq’s.
I have emailed Keisha at Wouxun also but not heard back.It would be too much mucking around to return the radio.
EDIT
I was sent it by the dealer

I was sent it by the dealer

I don’t know where you live, but in the USA it is illegal to operate a Part 97 type radio on other radio services or to exceed power restrictions or operate any recently manufactured radio that is capable of operating wide band - since all other radio services has been mandated to operate narrow band only.

In the USA there is power restrictions for bubble pack type radios - 1/2 watt on the FRS frequencies and 1 watt on the GMRS frequencies and not allowed to have a detachable antenna. These are sold over the counter with no license requirement, just a license application in some packages and a suggestion that it is illegal to operate on the GMRS frequencies without a license.

The LMRS / PLMRS does not allow users to put their own equipment without being authorized for use on that radio service and without it being checked on a service monitor to ensure that it is narrow banded and in compliance with the rules.

PLMRS - incorporates Police, Ambulance, Fire
Some areas incorporates not just a CTCSS and a DCS but also a digital tone that identifies each individual transceiver.
Your transceiver does not have those capabilities - hence the government dispatch agent would not be able to identify which radio it was, who it was assigned to and if it was a lawful transmission or not.
Even if they could hear it, they would be instructed to report the offense and to not adknowledge it.

There is more to using a radio outside of the Amateur Radio Service, then just having a radio that is capiable of operating on those frequencies…

From what I’ve heard, the KG-UV920P-A (the latest version) is FCC Part 90 type accepted, which means it can be used for business LMR frequencies in the US.

These radios are sometimes pre-programmed at the factory to default frequencies within the amateur band in the US, however it is generally assumed the end user/operator will re-program the radio to the frequencies he/she will be using or is assigned.

For example, most ham operators are going to program the radio to their local repeater frequencies or the simplex frequencies they typically use, as the pre-programmed frequencies may not be useful for their particular application. Business LMR operators will need to program it to the specific frequencies they are licensed for, just as they would any business radio they purchase.

In other words, as a general rule, radios purchased for either amateur or business use will need to be programmed either by the dealer or the operator for each specific environment or application. This applies to all makes and models, not just the Wouxon.

no radio i have bought out of China has been pre programmed.I have had to do all my on programming and i have never heard of any of the Wouxun’s being pre programmed.They might get done at the dealers but i doubt it,unless asked by the buyer.
The KG-UVD1P was de registered here in new zealand because it could be modified to be used out of band.Other than that the authorities don’t go chasing after people who have illegal radios.I myself am not a ham but i also have a TS50 which i use on 11mtrs.I only use it bear foot and have never had any complaints from anyone about using it.
I am pleased with the KG-UV920P.It looks well put together and is easily programmed .

1 Like

The only way they would be able to do that Rick would be if they made it so it would only do narrow band emmissions on the 70 CM band = as mandated by the FCC.
Since amateur Radio still uses wide band - the two would not be compatiable, since the deviation level would be so low. most repeater users wouldn’t be able to hear your audio.

Alot of our T band here has gone back to analog, but the scanner users complains that it is so hard to hear people because the deviation is so low.

The Pennsylvania State Police has gone back to high band VHF 155 MHz for in car and car to car communications - because the open sky didn’t work.

The problem with the Wouxon is that someone brought them here illegally, ( just paid off the right person) and now we are stuck with them.

The consumer grade equipment has gotten so cheap and chintzy that when it breaks, you throw it away and buy a new one.
There is no way to enforce the rules when the ARRL lets the rules be broken by letting this stuff in - in the first place.

And, when you advertise it in your official publication (QST Magazine) and promote it, it is even harder to explain to those people that it is illegal to use in the USA because of those rules set forth by the FCC.

1 Like

here in new zealand we have PRS, 476.425 to 477.425.80 channels 25kc apart for the first 40 (wfm) then 12.5 (nfm) for the rest.The first 40 were introduced about ten years ago then the local radio section gave us an extra forty.The new channels were in between the others but takes nearly an hour to program all 80 in.There are 16 channels for rptr use (1 to 8 then 30 to 38) but only 1 to 8 rptrs are registered at the moment

We have had Baofengs that arrived from the factory pre-loaded with frequencies. It does happen.

I’m waiting on a KG-UV920P myself for review so I will check into it when it arrives.

1 Like

Ok on that but i wonder how Baofeng is pronounced? I know Wouxun is pronounced like ocean but with a W in front

Good question. In fact we were recently chastised by a listener for pronouncing it “Bow-fung” in our videos and The Two Way Radio Show instead of “Bow-feng”. We explain our reasons for doing so in an upcoming episode of the podcast, but simply put, it seems to depend somewhat on what part of Asia one is from.

It is also the name of a county in China and different sources pronounce it either as “bow-fung” or “bow-fong”, although I have found one asian source that does pronounce it as “bow-feng”.

I bought an LT-9000 from Bond telecom in China.It is the same as the TYT TH-9000.The same radio has other brand names also but i think TYT make it

We just received the UV920P-A and it does indeed have a valid FCC ID. Whatever anyone here in the US thinks of Wouxun, what really matters at the end of the day is what the FCC allows, because they set the rules in the US.

We will check out the radio for review on the forums, on our blog and on The Two Way Radio Show.

“These are sold over the counter with no license requirement, just a license application in some packages and a suggestion that it is illegal to operate on the GMRS frequencies without a license.”
There are quite a few non legal radios being used on the new zealand uhf cb allocations here.Quite a few taits.My new UV-920P is noisier on rx than the TH-9000.

Did you get the KG-UV920P to review? If so, how did this radio work for you? Did you like it and is it worth the money?

That post was from nearly 11 years ago. We did review it in the forum, on our blog and on The Two Way Radio Show Podcast, as well as a video. It was good enough that we still carry it on our web site.