Recommended Walkie Talkie for best VOX

Recently I purchased a set of Midland GXT1030G walkie-talkies for communicating with my wife while bike riding and camping. The primary feature I was looking for was a good VOX walkie-talkie. Unfortunately, after receiving the set we could not communicate reliably with the VOX feature. Communication was very spotty at best. Is there a good set of walkie-talkies that are also great at VOX communication you would recommend? The radios I received seem like great walkie-talkies, but the VOX feature is really lacking.

Welcome to the forum!
It’s kind of a loaded question tbh, because VOX is not that cut and dry. While it depends somewhat on the type and model of radio you are using, there are other factors that determine its sensitivity and performance as well, so just swapping radios isn’t necessarily going to improve VOX operation.

Fortunately you’ve come to the right place. We’ve covered VOX in the forum and on our site, so we have resources that will help you understand the feature better and perhaps help you maximize VOX performance and capability on your existing radios. In fact, not long ago I wrote an article on our blog about it that answers your question.

The Facts about VOX

Here is a short video that sums up VOX
Radio 101 - Using VOX on two way radios

1 Like

With most of the VOX radios I’ve had over the years, we always start the conversation with “do da do da”
to get things going. :wink:

I tried the vox route for riding bikes also and gave up. Mostly because the radios would key on every sound.
I searched on motorcycle head sets. There are quite a few out there where you can add speakers and a mike to the bike helmet. They have a wired PTT button that is then velcro’d to the handlebar with a quick disconnect.

Maybe an option if you decide to go another route.

Enjoy