Recharging Eneloop in Motorola Talkabout

Hello everyone,

The Motorola Talkabout MT351R has a NiMH 3.6V battery pack shaped like 3 AA batteries but only has two contact points. The battery doesn’t seem to last very long and I’m wondering if it is safe to replace it permanently with Eneloops or other similar NiMH AAs. The radio is able to recharge the factory battery pack inside the unit. Will it safely recharge the Eneloop as well?

Apologies if this has been addressed before. I tried using the search to no avail.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

YES you can! :slight_smile:

I use them on all my Motorola radios. Take 3 Eneloops, tape them together, alternating their polarity ( +, -, + ). I like to use mailing tape, as it is exactly as wide as a AA is long. Use copper wire (must be thin so it can fit) or thickly folded aluminum foil (what I use) to bridge them in series ( if you look at the rechargeable pack this should be apparent where they go ). Finally, tape over your series connections, leaving the appropriate positive and negative corners exposed. Pop it in and it will work just fine. They charge just like the originals as well, but boy do they last longer!

Thank you so much!!! I will give this a try!