Radio operation

Hi, I am trying to set up my radios with mixed results.I have a pair of Baofeng gm-15 pros.
My first question is i know there are 30 GMRS channels with the repeater channels. My radio has 54 It looks like they are repeats of the same frequencies.All the channels after 30 through 54 say DIY 1 -24 i don’t know what they are there for. Second i found a local repeater i asked permission to use it and was granted permission. it says its an open repeater with an input tone but no output tone. I pulled up the tx ctcss menu while the radio is on channel 26 scrolled until i found the right frequency hit save. When i go back through the menu it says the ctcss is off. My apt is in a basement so i know i need to get higher to try and get a signal out.I’m just not sure its right. And lastly, what exactly do i need the software for? if i can do these things from the radio itself. It comes with a disk but new laptops don’t come with disk drives any more. From what i am reading downloading and connecting the radio to it looks like it may be challenging in itself as i have been reading below. I am trying to keep this all as simple as i can for myself. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Rich.

The software lets you put data in boxes, quickly and efficiently, rather than all that tedious beeping and button pressing and hierarchical memory stuff. Best of all, you can save the results and recall different setups. You can remove channels not used in your area, you can simply easily fiddle.

However, a radio locked to the GMRS system doesn’t really have much to fiddle with. Not sure what you mean about not having a disk drive? You download software and use a usb cable to the radio?

Your repeater needs a tone on transmit, and ordinary squelch on receive. Very easy to check on the software.

Thank you. The radio came with a small disc like a cd. so i just didnt know if it was for something different. I will plug it into the computer and see what i can do. About the channels do you have any idea what the DIY channels are about?