Radio distance problems. please help.

Is there any way to get more distance out of a two way radio. Without license. Is there such thing as a personally owned repeater. I have a bunch of 27 mile Motorola two way radios and we can barely reach a 1/4 mile. I would like to reach at least five miles. Please help.

Repeaters are only allowed on GMRS, which requires a license. Most GMRS repeaters are closed, private systems. Once licensed, you could build your own; but they are quite expensive to set up.

Another option is to try MURS. This is a 5 channel VHF service that requires no license. You can use external antennas, which will significantly extend your range.

Would it be possible to send me more information on the vhs. At least point me in the correct direction. I’m getting ready to start ham. But the more I learn the better. Thank you for your time.

I think you mean VHF (VHS is a video tape format).

Here are a couple of resources to get you started.

Article
MURS: Unlicensed VHF

Podcast (detailed explanation and discussion of VHF MURS)
The Two Way Radio Show TWRS-11 - All About MURS

Incidentally, to promote the upcoming 100th episode of the podcast, we will have a prize drawing Tuesday, December 15, 2015. All you need to do is post the title of your favorite episode in this forum thread and you will be entered to win a Motorola weather radio or one of ten other prizes. Details here.

A complete list of episodes are here.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a 27 mile radio of any make. No reputable manufacturer or dealer EVER says X radio will do Z miles. It just doesn’t work like that. If you are in the new Virgin space liner when it goes up, then your cheap radio will reach anywhere you can see, yet the same radio may struggle with 100 yards on the earth, in a built up busy area. Even a repeater may not provide much extra range unless it’s antennas are high up.