Radio Compatibly/Recommenation Question

Hello Community,
I used to be a novice CB radio user back in my teen days. I took a loooong break and would like to get into this but in the two way radio part. I’m interested primarily because we go glamping and ATV’ing alot and 4G/5G signals are not very reliable in rural areas. It appears Rugged Radios has a pretty good market share on these UHF/VHF radios. I would like to mount a radio in my RV so it won’t need to be waterproof/shockproof like the Rugged product lines. The frequencies we will use will be 151-153 MHz. I was looking at the Powerwerx DB-750X but had some questions that I was hoping you guys could help with.

1. Are the M1 and DB-750X compatible (can they communicate with each other)?
  2. Is this a good antenna? (Browning Antenna)
  3. I’m shooting for maxium power and maximum range. I’ll be mounting the antenna on top of my RV. Are there other recommendations other than the M1 or DB-750X?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

If I understand it properly (being a Brit) you want to get a licence from the FCC for ‘business’ use in the VHF band? I’ve looked up the specs and pretty much any business style radio will be able to be programmed - get a channel (or interestingly, use the rugged channels if it’s race based?) That Browning antenna is pretty normal - oddly, for a whip it’s half wave design, so suitable for vehicles that aren’t necessarily metal - they have no real gain, unlike 5/8th wavelength designs, but they can be stuck on fibreglass boats not just cars and RVs.A typical fibreglass RV is quite high so that helps the range. I’d probably go with the 750 as it is multi band, has airband receive, while the other is VHF only but can do digital, if that matters? The 750 can’t.

1 Like

Hello @paulears ,
Thank you for your thoughts on this. There is no business involved, this is all purely recreational use.
I’m not familiar with VHF digital, I’ll have to ask my friend Google about it.

Oh? How do you get access to VHF frequencies? The FRS and other family systems like GMRS are UHF aren’t they? Digital is an entirely different level of pain