Programming the Motorola DTR600 and DTR700

We just completed a video on programming the new Motorola DTR600 and DTR700 radios. This video takes you through the complete process, from setting up the programming cable and CPS software to writing it all to the radio and explaining some of its advanced features.

At 32 minutes it’s a bit long, and it took Danny and me awhile to complete it, but I think we covered it all. As always, feedback is welcome!

How to Program the Motorola DTR600 and DTR700 digital radios

Great video. I had a question, maybe a couple. If we got some of these for a jobsite, say 15 radios or whatever - and had 5 for one department, 5 for a second, and 5 for a third with 2 radios in each department being “manager” radios - would I be able to set them up where each department defaults to itself and all 6 managers hear everything? That’s what we’re looking for.

In your flowchart how would you make it where production used PTT and all 3 stations PLUS Grant could receive, Jeff used PTT and Nelson and Michelle could receive, and Janet could hear production AND warehouse? Could you group groups together? Sorry, I can see it in my head and may be having difficulty putting into words. Thanks!

That is exactly how you can program them. You don’t need to group groups, because groups can consist of any radio from any member, in whatever combination you wish. Every radio can be programmed differently.

You add users to each group as you wish, and users can be part of multiple groups at the same time.

Let me see if I understand what you are looking for. You have three departments, with 15 radios total. Two managers from each department want to hear all calls; the other members of each department only want to hear their department’s call. Program in, just say to start, four groups: All, Dept 1, Dept 2, Dept 3 and Dept 4. Every radio has all four programmed in. Now, set up home group as All for managers, and as Dept 1 for Dept 1 members, Dept 2 for Dept 2 members, etc.

What happens is that managers hear all calls, and their radios default back to All. But they can simply change “channels” and call up only one dept or only one individual at any time. Once that call is finished, manager radios default back to all call. Each dept only hears their own departments, but they also have the ability for an All call (for emergency or urgent communication) plus can call up any other individual or department, just by scrolling through their group list. But when they are finished with that call, it defaults back to only their department.

Because you have the choice of so many “channels,” you can set up some commonly used custom groups too, so one more group can be Production, plus Grant; another could be just Nelson and Michelle, and another group could be Production, Warehouse and Janet. You can mix and match as much as you want. Each radio has the ability to call up any group that you have customized by scrolling down the list, but will always default back to its Home group, as programmed. You can even “lock out” some radios so that Warehouse can’t call up Production because its not on that radio’s scroll list, but there wouldn’t be much sense in that.

Make sense?

Hi,

a scan feature have been added to the DTR700 in order to allow user to hear different channels at the same time.