Overwhelmed...please simplify this for me!

I’m a small business photographer and last week I decided to get a set of two-way radios so my 3 assistants and I could keep in touch at weddings. Little did I know what I was getting into. I browsed the web for hours looking for the best and cheapest solution. Wish I had found your forum earlier! Anyways, what I ended up with was a set of Cobra PR3850-2 WX EVP’s which I plan to only use on FRS channels. I just purchased some headsets from your website that I’m crossing my fingers on…hope they’re compatible and what I want. They’re Motorola 56320 ear piece with boom. Can you tell me if this is a legal, compatible, workable setup for me?

The setup you have is completely workable and legal. At events like weddings, you’re not going to need a huge amount of range so FRS is going to be fine. The headset you picked out is made for the Motorola Talkabout series and recent Cobra radios are fully compatible with Talkabout accessories. I think you’re going to be fine! Come back and let us know how everything worked out.

Danny

Actually, they just arrived today and apparently they’re not going to work…there’s no PTT. This is very disappointing especially since I put a note specifically on the order that if there was no PTT I didn’t want the order. No one paid any attention.

Can you tell me if there ARE any PTT ear piece headsets with boom mic’s that will work with these radios? I need them very quickly!!!

As it turns out, when plugged all the way in securely, the headset is always on. But when pulled out about 1/8" the PTT option is available by pushing the button on the radio. This is really inconvenient since an accidental bump could make the entire set of radios useless because someone’s broadcasting full time on the channel. But I’m going to give it a shot anyways since there is apparently no other option available, which is pretty ridiculous! I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find a simple PTT earpiece with a boom mic for single pin Cobras. Crazy. With all the options out there, you’d think…

Wish me luck…

A lot of the VOX headsets do not include PTT buttons, but the radio’s PTT will always work if there are occasions where you prefer not to use VOX.

I have previously seen Cobra models that have the problem you are describing. If the accessory is pressed in fully, flush with the radio, the connector doesn’t line up properly inside the radios. It has to be pulled out slightly in order to “click” in the right place. On the other models that i’ve seen, this doesn’t cause too much trouble. The connector actually does seem to click into the right place, so it doesn’t tend to move out of place on its own.

I’m concerned that we shipped your order without trying to contact you about the note. Can you send me a private message with your order number, and I will try to get to the bottom of what happened?

Danny