Overcharging Midland (gxt1000)?

I got this radio because it got good reviews, the price was right, and the administration of my college keeps them for emergencies. (I figured that meant they must be good?) I got them yesterday, and they seem fine. BUT… As near as I can tell from the literature that came with them, you can’t leave them in the charger. But the college has left them in the charger going on a year now! Are those ruined and no one knows it yet, or can they be left in the charger? Many thanks to all for this helpful board!

Hi Medicineball, thanks for the kind words! To answer your question, it isn’t the radios themselves you need to be concerned about, it’s the batteries.

There are several different types of batteries used in electronic devices such as radios and they can have different requirements for charging times and overall care. In general, however, it isn’t a good idea to keep rechargeable batteries on a charge 24/7.

Your Midland GXT1000 radios will typically use NiMH (Nickel-metal hydride) batteries. Some other types of batteries can handle overcharging to a degree depending on the type of charging method used (although it is usually not recommended) but NiMH batteries are rather sensitive to overcharging. It can damage the battery and become a risk to your safety.

NiMH batteries can be left for longer periods in a trickle charger. This charging method uses a very small current for long-term charging. The charger that comes with the GXT1000 radios is not a trickle charger.

The charger for your GXT1000 is specifically designed to safely charge the batteries that came with your radios under the conditions stated in the owner’s manual. For your safety and optimal performance It is highly advisable that you always follow the instructions and recommendations for charging the radios as stated in the manual.

Rick

Thank you, Rick. Is it possible that the radio batteries are still ok because we have never had an emergency, and so they’ve never been removed and then replaced in the charger? I’ve read that some chargers simply charge for a specified period and then stop charging, beginning the charge cycle again when the radios are placed back in the charger.

MedicineBall;

I use Kenwoods… they use NiMh batts… I always have a radio on the charger for weeks on end. I normally, remove the radio, light it up and let it wind all the way down. And then remount it.

So far, I have had good luck and minimal “memory” issues. I have four years on two radios and never replaced the pack. You may want to try the same scenario… pull one, light it up, let it wind down and the replace it in the charge rack.

It’s a thought… but as Rick stated, the radio should be fine… it’s the batt pack that may need the de-fib kit.