NOAA Weather Radio's

I’m looking for someone to help me out with some information on how the NOAA weather radio’s work.

Hi Andrew, that’s a rather broad question. Are you referring to the dedicated weather radios or two way radios with NOAA weather channels? Are you looking at specific features of these radios related to NOAA weather channels?

As far as the basic functionality of weather radios, they pick up broadcasts from from NWS stations the same way as a typical radio would pick up a broadcast from any AM or FM radio station. If you want to know how they work in terms of weather and emergency alerts, that is another topic altogether.

We covered emergency and weather radios in Episode 13 of The Two Way Radio Show. We answered your general question in detail. You may want to give it a listen.

You may also be interested in the articles It’s Hurricane Season - Are You Ready? and Are You Prepared For a Hurricane? in our blog.

I’m looking for some information on the radio’s with S.A.M.E. technology. I want to do some interfacing with a weather radio to a repeater controller I built to provide severe weather alerts and such through a repeater. I’m trying to design a COR circuit out of a weather radio to key a PTT function on the transmitter.