They look like nice upgrades. I have had several 905Gs and they were close to bulletproof. After I moved up to the 935G I gave my 905Gs to my son-in-law’s grandfather to use on his acreage where cell phone coverage is sketchy at best. If I didn’t already have a couple of S88Gs I would look into the 915G. The BT on the S88G turned out to be a disappointment and not really a Plus in my case. It might be an upgrade on a radio that can listen to more than UHF… and if you could use the PPT while BT is connected. The larger screen on the 915G looks really nice. Thanks for the podcasts.
We are new to GMRS radios, but like a lot of motorcyclists were looking for a solution with Bluetooth support.
We picked up a 905g plus as well as a btech-gmrs pro. The build and audio on the wouxan is excellent, and it’s a lot easier to use than the Btech but the way the Bluetooth functions is disappointing (To Buytwowayradio’s credit, the manual accurately describes the behavior, but you have to know to look for it).
When you have Bluetooth enabled, you have to have a headset that supports PTT. That’s not such a big deal most headsets if you double tap will activate a channel.
What really sucks is that once BT is established, the radio keeps a channel open all the time. In Bluetooth speak, this is the same as being actively on a phone call. So for most headsets that means your music is interrupted not just when someone is transmitting, but all of the time. I can’t think of a use case where that would be the desired mode of operation.
Otherwise, we prefer the much simpler interface of the 905g. We will probably set this up as our “give away” radio, that we hand to family members set up for just a couple channels. The ability to bind functions to hot keys is super helpful for gloved hand operation, and while driving when you don’t want to futz with a lot of menus and buttons.