New User GXT-650 Issues

Hello, I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out on my own and it has come to this. I have two brand-new Midland GXT-650 walkies. I have set both to multiple channels, done multiple scans, read the upwards of 20 blogs about these radios and how to use them and they just aren’t working. I would call customer service but its late here and I need these to work for my job early in the morning. If anyone has a fix for this solution please share it, thank you.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

To troubleshoot, we need more information. When you say they aren’t working, can you be more specific? 1. Do they both power on?
2. Are they both on the same channel?
3. Are the channels assigned to any privacy codes? If not, turn off and disable any CTCSS tones or DCS codes.
4. When you press the PTT button on one to transmit, does the other receive?
5. When you turn on the radios, do you hear any beep, noise or anything at all?

You said you purchased these brand new. From where did you purchase them? To clarify, the Midland GXT-650 was discontinued a number of years ago, so if it was purchased new, and never opened, it’s a really old new pair of radios. If you are using the NiMH battery packs that came with the radios, those are really old too, and most likely are at their EOL (End of Life), as both rechargebles and alkalines do have a shelf life. If that is the case, it is possible the radios may power on but may not have enough power to transmit.

Of course, I’m speculating about that here, because I really do not have enough information to provide a more accurate diagnosis. I need more details.