New user, creating a channel for a group of offroaders

Greetings! I am a new GMRS user, I have a Woucun KG1000plus. I donot own a PC, use my tablet and phone for all my transactions.

I have read the manual, however still some what confused. I would like to create a channel for the offroad goups I lead during the winter, using tones on that new channel.
Are the steps to do this…

Clone a channel, thinking channel 16?
Rename the new channel and add/modify it to a new name?
Add transmit and recv tones on the new channel.

Am I on the right path here? Did I miss a step. Anyone aware of step by step instructions to accomplish this without the use of a PC?

Thanks for your time! Lloyd

Welcome Lloyd,

While I don’t have that specific radio I have other Wouxun handheld and mobile radios. The steps you list will get you what you want. Then all you have to do is get the rest of your group to add the tones you selected to their radios. That can be a challenge sometimes depending on what radios they are using. Different companies use different references for the same tones. For instance, while Wouxun uses the actual tone frequency 141.3 Hz Midland uses code number 22 for that same frequency.

I would suggest that just before you hit the trail, do a radio check with everyone in the group. I have experienced getting out on the trail and finding out that someone in the group put in the wrong tone and now cannot hear the group or can’t be heard by the group.

Have fun!

Hi Lloyd, welcome to the forum!
Yes, that’s pretty much all there is to it.Just clone the existing channel to a new one, rename it and add whatever tone or code you want to use.

Hi Rick! Thanks!

Gonna give it a try! Luckily a friend just recvd his new KG1000 so we can put our heads together and give this a try.

1 Like

To bring closure, we got this working, and like is a lot. However we have numerous different models/brands of radios in our group. Of course none program, or setup the same. Which makes setting this up for a group of 20 (many don’t know how to setup their radio) a lot of work for us.

We are using thid, just amongst a sub group of core users.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like