New and tasked with finding the right two-way radio

Due to Covid-19 my work has taking over a 7 floor hotel. So we will only be there for a few months.

We are in need to none licence, none contract radios that will cover 7 floors. It’s a bit of a rush, I’ve contacted a few companies that sell two-way radios bit only one has got back to say none of their stock would cover 7 floors.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, James

Motorola DTR and DLR series digital radios are ideal for your purposes. They are not cheap, but they are also heavy-duty industrial-quality radios that will provide years of service. They cannot be monitored by anyone because they skip frequencies so fast, and have thousands of combinations of “channels” and ID numbers. VERY secure. They have the longest range of any licence- free UHF two-way radio, especially inside buildings.

They transmit on the 900MHz spectrum, so they are licence-free in Canada and the U.S. (If you live elsewhere, you will need to check if they can be used.)

Our hosts at buytwowayradios often have a sale on five or more Motorola radios. If you have any more questions, check with them. Good folks.

I can also answer any questions about the DTR or DLR radios.

1 Like

Hi James, welcome to the forum!

As Chickenhawk said, the Motorola DLR and DTR radios should work for you. We do have them in stock in our warehouse, plus Motorola currently has a buy 5, get 1 free promotion that’s good for up to 60 radios until May 31, 2020. Give Anthony or Rob a call at 1-800-584-1445 and they will be able to assist.

What Rick and Chickenhawk said. The DLRs and DTRs are ideal for your use case.

I highly recommend the DLR series due to their lower cost and incredibly small size. The DLRs are smaller than most FRS bubble pack radios. The DLR’s RF performance and range and battery life on a charge are identical to the DTRs. They are well made and have loud audio too for such small radios.

A brief word of caution is in order here. DO NOT just use these radios right out of the box at the factory default settings. Be sure to set the 4 digit Profile ID Number (PIN) to a non-zero value in each radio to make all channels secure. The PIN can be set from the buttons on the radio. Leave all other settings at the defaults. No CPS or programming cable is required. The Owners Guide describes how to do this. Set the 4 digit PIN in each radio to match all radios in the fleet and you are done. Choose a favorite 4 digit number that’s easy to remember but hard for others to guess, i.e., don’t use something obvious like 1234.

DLRs and DTRs will talk to each other right out of the box at the factory default settings which makes it easy to monitor them with another DLR or DTR radio. Many users tend to use these radios right out of the box at the factory default settings like FRS bubble packs. The local Costco Wholesale store in my area uses DLR radios this way and I can hear them on the default public channels when I am in range. These radios can be made VERY secure and unmonitorable outside your group but only after you secure them first by setting the PIN to a non-zero value.

Good luck and stay safe.

Just wanted to add, I have tested the DLR, DTR and UHF business radios head-to-head, and this is why I know the DTR/DLR have about the best range of any UHF or VHF radio. The smaller antenna of the DLR does NOT reduce range in any appreciable way. In my tests, there was only about a half block difference in range in a dense residential area between the DLR and the DTR.

The DTR does give you better sound, simply because of the larger speaker. The DTR can also do one-to-one calling easier, plus it has a more professional “look” to it - which may or may not be important to you. But the DLR is so simple, especially if you take the advice of my friend above and program them off the factory default channels. You don’t need a programming cable or software to do this on the DLR; they are simple to program right from the radio.

Interestingly enough, it has been a common principle among two-way radio users that VHF radios are better for outdoors because they can penetrate foliage better, and UHF is better in urban areas because they can penetrate buildings better. The DTR/DLR series is in the upper end of the UHF spectrum (900MHz) but in my tests, I have found them to outperform BOTH VHF and UHF indoors and out.

Chickenhawk’s experience 100% matches my experience with the DTRs and DLRs when using them indoors and out. People keep underestimating these radios.

I am using DTRs and have used DLRs as my all-digital replacement for GMRS/FRS and MURS for local on-site simplex type use with family and friends. I sold my fleet of DLR1060 radios to a friend for his business after I got my fleet of DTR700 radios and the Multi Unit Charger (MUC) for them. I have too many radios (LOL). At first my friend wasn’t sure what he was going to use the DLRs for except maybe to rent them out to his customers. He is a commercial 2-Way radio dealer and ironically he and his employees now use the DLRs all the time at jobsites and around the office because they work so well and are so small and convenient to use.

A coworker once asked my why not just use FRS? My answer was that I have already been doing that since FRS was created in 1996 and longer than that as a GMRS licensee since 1992 and using good quality Part 90/95 commercial gear. I want an all-digital solution that is higher quality and more professional than FRS. Being able to make them VERY secure and not having to worry about licensing and frequency coordination are bonuses. I still have GMRS/FRS and MURS capability but they are no longer my default go-to modes for local on-site simplex type use with family and friends. The DTRs and DLRs simply work so much better than VHF and UHF conventional radios for my use.

Good luck and stay safe. :slight_smile:

You can try murs radios. It is ideal for short-range communication. It does not require potential users to get a MURS license or certification to transmit via MURS frequencies. I recommend you BTECH MURS-V1 2-Way Radio. This radio is straightforward and easy to use. And can automatically save your modifications

Although MURS is a good license-free option for many personal and business applications, the DLR or DTR radios would be better suited for his particular application because he will be operating indoors and covering multiple floors. MURS operates on VHF and is better suited for use outdoors or inside single story buildings with open offices or retail areas such as large department stores.

Now, when MURS does fit a business operation, it is recommended to go with one that is more durable for daily use, such as the Motorola RMM2050 or the Wouxun KG-805M. Both of these radios are designed for that sort of uptime. The Motorola promo mentioned above is also valid for the RMM2050. The KG-805M is low priced and is compatible with the same batteries, belt clips and other accessories as many other Wouxun models, which gives it more flexibility. Both models also include fully supported warranties in the US for added peace of mind.

Considering it is a multi-floor hotel, when comparing these two types of license-free services, the 900MHz Motorola radios are probably the better choice over MURS.

I’ve had my own experience at least with FRS (UHF) vs VHF- I keep getting better and more dependable results with 462 MHz, which is opposite to what just about everyone tends to say about simplex band performance.

…Between you and n1das, I am about ready to start scraping change from junk drawers and under couch cushions to save up for a DTR600, LOL :sweat_smile:

…But then I would need at least another one, because nobody I know uses 900MHz!