Need Some help

Good day to all of you out there. I am not a hobby radio person, i just recently purchased a radio for me to use at work and let me tell you i am completely baffled. I bought a Baofeng UV-5RE radio. i thought that when i turned it on that the channels would be preset, but they will not connect with the other two way radios at my work. doing some research i foung the frequency for my work radios and set it accordingly. But now i can hear them but can not respond. it seems that i can not respond on any channel. is my radio programmed wrong or could my PTT or mic be broken. I would really appreciate any help.

Hi, the Baofeng UV-5RE is primarily sold as an amateur or “ham” radio, so it will not be pre-programmed with frequencies for consumer or business applications out of the box.

If you can hear the other radios but they can’t hear you, chances are they are using CTCSS or DCS codes that are filtering out your transmission.

We really need more information about the other radios you are trying to communicate with. Are they consumer FRS/GMRS radios? Business radios? In what country are you located? what band and/or frequencies they are using?