Need help buying 2 way radios

Hi. I’m hoping someone might be able to help. I don’t know anything about 2 way radios. My wife and I are going to be driving 2 separate vehicles across the country via interstates only and I wanted to get a couple of 2 way radios to use when driving. I don’t want to have to worry about getting a license and I don’t want to spend an awful lot (maybe $80 maximum for a pair of radios). Is this possible and still receive satisfactory results?

Let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks for the help! :slight_smile:

If all you want to do is talk between two vehicles, then a pair of bubble pack radios with extra batteries should fill your needs.
As long as you operate on the FRS frequencies - you will be totally legal, and would not require any type of license.

If you desire to use the GMRS frequencies - then a GMRS license would be required. It costs $85 for 5 years and covers everyone in your family.
You would be required to use tatical call signs every 10 minutes to identify your station - kg45nfa 1 to kg45nfa-2 etc. Or KG45NFA mobile 1 to 2…

You would need to remember that they didn’t stop making those radios when they made yours - and that everyone that owns one could possibly listen to your conversations and anyone could interfere with them as well - Privacy codes only rejects radios that doesn’t have the right privacy code - they do not make your conversations private.

And, if you were going to spend $85 on a license, you would want to spend more then $85 on the radios.
Two hard wired mobile radios would probably cost you $400 - $500 depending upon antenna selection.

The more expensive the radio, the longer it will last and the more abuse it will take. Most radios has a 90 / 10 talk time. 90% of the time it listens and 10% of the time you talk. This protects the finals.
When you start using it like a telephone - they get hot and eventually fail.

Anything with a battery, the more you talk - the sooner the battery will go dead.