Mountain radio

I enjoy hiking and radio. Recently I got the idea of hiking to a mountain peak and throwing a dipole antenna over a tree limb and seeing what I might get for response on SSB. Hiking to mountain tops requires time and it limits the amount of weight I can carry so going light as possible is critical. I’m looking for suggestions on radios and power packs. I’m pretty convinced that a T2LT antenna will serve my purpose well, so my concern is having an adaquate radio and power source. Looking for suggestions and remember I’m not a brawny mountain man … Just a mountain lover

I’m allergic to exercise, and we don’t have mountains where I live in the UK, but you have something healthy to do, and a purpose when you get there. Sounds a perfectly sensible hobby.

Thanks paulears. I’m thinking about videoing and posting it. I’m sort of setting a 30 day goal to do this and just concerned about the power pack. I’m really stumped as to what would give me enough power to run and transmit for a couple of hours. Thanks again for your comment.

Good luck with it my friend!!

Radio is quite fun :slight_smile:

Mt recommendation is to seriously consider obtaining an amateur radio license. It would open up a lot more frequencies and bands to you, especially if you moved up to General Class, and operation from mountain tops is a regular activity among hams. It’s called SOTA or Summits On The Air and is very popular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summits_on_the_Air

what you want to do is actually a pretty common practice among ham operators… the term for it is “QRP” meaning low power operation… it is most commonly 5 watts or less… right in with what your CB is legally allowed to do.
Simply pick a radio and battery combination that will fit into your back pack and 25 to 50 feet of coiled up RG-58…then go have fun… you might not set the world on fire with 11 meters, but you can have fun in the process.
If you do not want to carry an antenna… just make a half wave dipole out of the coax you coil up by stripping back the insulation from the outer jacket… then seperate the shield wire from the center connector section… tie some weedeater line to the end of each section, hook the other pl259 to your radio, hang the antenna and go for it. It will work as a flat top or slopper antenna.