Motorola MJ270R PTT Issue - Please help

I have 2 MJ270R FRS radios and I have the following issue:

Both radios are fully charged.

I push the PTT and as soon as I release the button the radio turns off. I have to switch the radio off and on again, and when I push the PTT, it turns off again.

Is this a known issue with a fix, or are these radios now garbage.

Let me know, thanks!

This is a classic bad / low battery issue. Depending on age and use it could be that the rechargeable batteries have gone bad. If these radios have spent a lot of time charging or seen heavy use it is very possible the rechargeable packs have just gone bad.

What I would try is replace the rechargeable batteries with some alkaline batteries and see if you get similar results!

If they are still doing it, let us know!

It is likely the NiMH rechargeable batteries. The MJ270 also takes three AA alkalines. As ttp suggested, a sure way to determine if the rechargeable batteries have reached their end of life is to try fresh alkaline cells.

The average lifespan of NiMH rechargeables is between one to three years. It largely depends on how they are charged and used over time. Fortunately, replacement batteries for the MJ270 are not expensive. Plus, you have the option of using disposable batteries, which makes the MJ270 a more versatile radio than those that require proprietary battery packs.

Here are several options for replacement rechargeable battery packs for the Motorola Talkabout MJ270.

Motorola Rechargeable Battery Upgrade Kit (53614)
Motorola Talkabout Replacement Battery (KEBT-071-B)
Empire 3.6V 1500mAh NIMH Battery (KEBT-071-B)

As stated earlier, you don’t have to use rechargeables, the alkalines should work just fine. However, rechargeable battery packs will be more economical in the long run.

I found this thread when I experienced an identical problem with these same radios. I tried replacing the rechargeable batteries with regular alkaline batteries but the issue persisted, leading me to believe the issue is not with the batteries.

Any other suggestions to fix this issue, or should I chuck these radios into the e-waste pile?

I am not aware of a specific hardware issue with the MJ270R radios, but if there is one, it may not be repairable at this point, since these radios were discontinued several years ago and Motorola no longer supports them. There are no replacement parts available for this model that I know of, and these radios weren’t designed to be serviced by the end user. If the battery is not the issue, it may be time to replace the radios themselves.