Motorola CT250

I have the radio, I have the programming cord. I am running linux but I have windows installed as a virtual machine.

I bought the radio for work. Im a truck driver. It would be much easier for me to communicate with the yard workers directly and better for them as well. I asked my companies people to program it and they not so subtly brushed off my request. Screw them. Ill do it myself. Problem is I do not know where to start.

Id like to have one channel but programmed as channel 19 which is found on CB so I can communicate with other trucks on the road. Installing a stand alone CB doesnt really do me any good as we switch trucks daily.

I want another channel to be programmed to be used with the yard workers.

Where do I start? How does all work? How do I do it for free?

Thanks!

Well, as far as channel 19 is concerned, not gonna happen. This radio operates at frequencies far away from the CB channels. It just isn’t physically possible. This radio operates on the VHF or UHF business band (one or the other, not both), depending on the model you have.

Your company has the right to deny programming of a radio to operate on their frequencies. They are licensed to operate and are responsible for any people operating under their license. They can deny operation, and you could be subject to termination of employment.

The programming software is not freeware. After research, it costs about $250 from Motorola, after filling out paperwork that satisfies their qualifications to purchase said software.

There is no way to do it for free, unless you know someone with the software to program the radio. Also, you need the frequency the yard workers operate on. Also, your radio has to be compatible with the band, either VHF or UHF, with said frequencies.

This isn’t what you want to hear; but it is the plain truth.

You also have the small problem of finding out what tone access system is in operation and duplicating that. If you have the right kit, then that’s just a case of being close to a radio with a special piece of kit and reading the info off a display, and if they are running a repeater, finding out the correct split. So you could get the software, you could borrow or buy the test kit to find out the frequency and there’s a 50% chance your radio will work. Why on earth did you buy it?

As already mentioned, the CT250 isn’t capable of operating on the CB band, so it’s a no go for that.

To be fair to the company you are working for, consider what you are asking them to do. You purchased a used radio they likely don’t have the software for, are likely unable to support, don’t know if it even works, and you want them to locate, purchase the software and program the frequency that is specifically licensed to them into it for your own use. Add to that the questions of compatibility, interoperability and liability, and I can certainly understand why they would hesitate to honor your request. That’s a lot to ask.

Companies generally purchase their radios in multiple units, usually consisting of the same make and model, to ensure interoperability across the operations as part of a radio “system”. You are asking them to integrate a personal radio into the fleet that may or may not work well or at all with their other radios, and may even possibly cause interference. There’s more to this than just pressing the PTT button.

Now, if what you really need is a portable CB radio that you can carry around with you from truck to truck, that is very doable. CBs are not limited to installed, mobile models. There are a number of portable handheld CB radios that fit the bill, and there is even a model available that can work as both a mobile and a portable radio.

Here are three:
Cobra HH 50 WX ST CB Radio
Cobra HHRT 50 ROADTRIP Handheld CB Radio
Midland 75-822 Portable / Mobile 2 in 1 CB Radio

I hope that helps.