Motoloa 2 way radio only works 1 way

Hi I have a EVX-261 and an HT750 both configured with the same personalities… the problem is I can hear the EVX-261 transmit just fine on the HT750 but when I transmit on the HT750 I get nothing on the EVX-261.

Any helpful hints? maybe a smack upside the head for missing the obvious. Personality tables have been double and triple checked.

Kurt

Have you tried turning off the tone system on receive on the 261? A good thing to double check, in case it is set wrong, or the 750 is sending the wrong tone?

Hi Paul,

I’ve tried moving both radios to DPL and how when I mic the HT750 I do get a receieve indication light on my EVX-261 and hear static but nothing usable… when I mic my evx-261 I am coming in loud and clear on the HT750. I’ll through up the settings info I have from the programming software.

Kurt

The second image… :slight_smile:

HT750

It sounds like the 750 could be faulty - but id turn off all tone signalling, and set the squelch on both radios so it is off - as in you hear the white noise as you turn the volume up - then when the 750 transmits, the other radio should go silent and hopefully have a voice present. Same the other way.

Why the offset on Channel 1 to 4? Are those repeater channels? You have receive on 456 and transmit on 466. Is that correct? If so, are both radios set with an offset?

Hi CH,

Yes… those are repeater channels… i’ve been focusing my attention on channel 5 with both radios.

Kurt

Hi Paul,

I have a stack of them doing the same thing… as a mater of fact I have a couple different sets of radios doing the same thing… had some Vertex 241’s that also won’t transmit but only receive.

Kurt

Hi Paul,

I didn’t post the picture but on the CPS software under the signaling tab both RX and TX are set to none.

Kurt

Stupid question, but they are set to duplex, so you are using a repeater I assume?

Hi Paul,

On the first 4 channels I am using a repeater but i’ve been doing my testing using channel 5 to uncomplicate matters…

fyi I just noticed that when transmitting on the HT750 I am getting a blinking green indicator on the EVX-261 which the manual says in a busy channel…

Kurt

so on channel 5 do they all talk to all bar just the one? I’m trying to work out where the problem is?

Hi Paul,

Any of my EVX-261 radios I can hear on my HT750 but I can’t hear any of the HT750’s on my EVX-261’s. I’m on a ship and we have a bunch of radios running around…

Kurt

ah - so that’s a good clue - the radios that work duplex - I’m assuming that whoever is on the other end of that is able to talk to all the radios in both models and hear them?

In simplex mode the most likely thing is the sub audible tones, so remove tones from two radios, one of each type and see if comms is then enabled - if it is, you have a tone mismatch of some kind - you could then try using a conventional CTCSS tone instead to tie the fault further down - if using say 98.4 works properly then the issue is with the D encoding/decoding. If on the other hand, disabling tones produces no sudden burst into life, I’m thinking maybe it’s a bandwidth/filtering issue. Icom had this on the old H and U 16 radios when they were mixed with radios with higher deviation. The excess deviation triggered a receiver mute - it was usually impractical to solve this with mods to one set of radios.

The two questions again.

1. on the duplex channels - can the person talking to all the radios hear and talk to them all?
  2. with tones totally disabled, can they talk between models?

Hey guys I dropped back by to close this topic out… I had my head buried in the sand, the radio in question was a dud… when I tried one of the other radios (including all the other radios) they programmed just fine.

So to summarize I configured DPL for both TX and RX with the correct DPL code on each channel and they started working just fine.

Thanks for all the help!

1 Like