Looking for suggestions

I’m looking to purchase two way radios. I understand GMRS requires a license. (which we’ll do) I would like to be able to extend reception with adding an antenna.
I’ve heard alot about BaoFeng. Seems to be a little involved since you have to program. Anyone have recommendations for a portable radio that isn’t as involved or is BaoFeng easy to program?
Also where do you recommend purchasing from? (I do live in Downtown setting & travel rural) so my usage varies.

In advance, Thank you!

Hi Remy777, welcome to the forum! Perhaps this will help answer your questions.

I understand if the radio is GMRS over 10 watts we need a license.

Any radio that operates on the shared frequencies of the FRS and GMRS services above 2 watts, has a removeable antenna and/or is repeater capable is considered a GMRS radio and requires a GMRS license. We explain the GMRS in simple, introductory terms in episode 113 of The Two Way Radio Show Podcast starting at the 7:12 mark.

I would like to be able to extend reception with adding an antenna.

That would require a GMRS license, which is very easy to obtain.

I reside in Downtown setting with family living approx 15 miles away Rural.

That would be a tall order for any handheld radio on any service, as portable handhelds are designed for short range communications. It is possible to get 15 miles on a handheld at higher elevations depending on the terrain, but there are no guarantees. It is doable with a mobile or base station GMRS radio equipped with a high, properly mounted external antenna and favorable terrain, especially if there is a GMRS repeater or two in your area.
Here is an article explains GMRS range and helps calculate actual range with a GMRS handheld radio.

Anyone have recommendations for a portable radio that isn’t as involved or is BaoFeng easy to program?

If you are referring to the Baofeng UV-5R, UV-82 or similar models, those radios must be programmed. Also, they are not FCC approved for use on the GMRS.

However, there is a new high watt GMRS radio available that is ready to use out of the box and is type accepted for GMRS. It’s the Wouxun KG-805G.

Also where do you recommend purchasing from? (I do live in Downtown setting & travel rural) so my usage varies.

This forum is owned and operated by Buy Two Way Radios, so naturally my personal and professional recommendation would be to give our sales staff a call or visit our live chat on our website weekdays for help in figuring out the best way to go depending on your situation and needs. Unlike Amazon, our sales team knows radios and most are licensed radio operators themselves.

2 Likes

Question: More Watts = Further distance / reception?

Not nessisarily! There’s more to it, dealing in propagation and terrain.

thank you! :grinning:

Wattage helps, but as the article on GMRS range that I linked to in the previous post explains, it is only one of many factors that determine range.

I recommend you BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two-Way Radio.
The dual-band two-way radio from the brand BaoFeng includes a strong antenna that is 7-inch high and can be easily bent over. Its channel step ranges from 2.5 to 25Khz. This radio is engineered with a battery saver mode and a low battery alert so you can be aware when it is running out of power.

I enjoy its commercial durability, which makes the radio much more compact to be used as a BaoFeng UV 5R airsoft setup equipment. The frequency range it can receive in Mhz is VHF (136-174) and UHF (400-520). It contains a large push-to-talk key along with two other side keys for alarm, flashlight and monitor.

What is more impressive about this UV-5R radio is its sturdy body made out of high-quality dense polycarbonate. This feature helps to enable its overall durability in such a competitive team sport like airsoft. It is capable of resisting pressure; thus, it would not become a big deal in case you drop it during the game.

You are free to have tri-color background light choices from a built-in VOX feature of 0-9 grades. Its output power can be up to 5W with a high level of safety. Should you plan to use the voice companding function on this radio, it has a 50 CTCSS and 104 DCS coder, which includes 128 different channels.

zeldaella, he was inquiring about using the GMRS. The Baofeng UV-5R is not type accepted for GMRS in the US. The Wouxun KG-805G is FCC approved for the GMRS and is considerably more durable.