Looking for some NEWBIE help and a recommendation

So, my name is Matt, Im from Rhode Island… Hello Everybody…

So im looking for some help, let me give you the situation, and what I have now, and then maybe point me in the right direction…

I own a small business in town, and about 1.5 miles away is another small business that I am part owner of… We would like to communicate via 2 way, as it is much faster than calling eachother…

SO… I already know the ranges on the 2 ways are in PERFECT Conditions, and you never get anywhere close to what their claiming, so with that said, the person at the other store suprised me yesterday with a pair of motorola talk-abouts Model MJ270R in hopes that we could talk… Well, guess what, NOPE LOL… not even close, i had to practically get 1/4 mile away from her for it to work…

Now, we are in a very urban environment, with buildings in between, but their must be SOMETHING we can use to communicate… We are going to return these, in hopes someone here has a suggestion…

Thanks in advance

Do you have a wireless internet network at each location? If so have a look at the IP100H IP Advanced Two Way Radio - they are a walkie talk style radio that can be configured to work by linking via the net - so they’ll work within range of your router at either end? Probably more reliable than anything using RF for the complete journey.

Hi Matt, in a very urban environment, the most range you will probably get with any portable handheld radio is a quarter mile. If you use mobile radios as base stations and you position external antennas well, you may get considerably further, however, if you want something reliable between two locations across town, you may want to consider the Icom IP Advanced Radio System.

The video from Icom in the link below explains how it works.
Take a look at the Icom IP Advanced Radio System

I know this is fairly old, but your best bet is to get a nice VOIP phone system that supports intercom. You can easily off-hook page each other without having to worry about licensing, range, interference, and privacy.

Alternatively, you could use an app like Zello to allow PTT between Android phones and/or iPhones.