Local DMR Use Without License +

Hello I bought my first DMR radio (Radioddity DB25-D) for a price I couldn’t pass up. I’ve always wanted to be able to tune in on the road, but I am now finding out I need to get licensed along with an ID. Which I plan on getting, but I still want to be able to play around with it while studying. Is there anyone to bypass the licensing and ID by directly connecting to local networks or can you only connect through these broadcasting companies that require your ID. Now I have read a couple of articles saying its tricky but possible. Any guidance would be great!

I don’t know what “Broadcasting companies” are.

You require an amateur radio license to transmit with that radio. As well, you require a DMR ID, which only licensed individuals can acquire.

Due to the nature of DMR, the radio is required to be “keyed up” into transmit mode. Since you cannot legally transmit without a license, you are essentially stuck.

1 Like

I may have used the wrong term saying “Broadcasting companies”, in turn, I am referring to those like “BrandMeister” that deal with many repeaters and hotspots across the world.

Again this is my first day diving into this hobby, I originally thought the license was necessary for DMR (digital) only. While with analog I felt I could tune into local frequencies, I have read that I am unable to transmit without the proper licensing but still able to receive.

Given I did hope to transmit, I guess I am asking if I am allowed or if it is possible to tune in without transmitting. I do know there is an “RX only” mode which I played around with but I wasn’t sure if the FM frequencies I joined had zero activity or if it was due to the licensing.

You can listen IF you are listening to a repeater and there is an active talkgroup and your radio supports promiscuous mode. It all depends on what any one given system supports.

Okay, I will do a little more research on my system and the basics of transmitting/receiving. I appreciate your help!

I think you have misunderstood? Your radio will allow you to chat worldwide to radio hams. This means you need a licence - from your countries agency - FCC in the US OFCOM in the UK. You need to pass an exam, and get a licence and a callsign - this allows you to transmit. Listening does not require a licence. DMR is one of the most complicating and clever systems radio hams use. Business users of course use DMR too, but your radio is usually owned by hams, and you need to program in repeaters and access points. This needs you to get the access details - frequencies, colour codes, talk groups and your digital ID - this is given to licenced hams on request. If you don’t have one, you need to get licenced and get an ID. If you did impersonate a ham, and use their callsign and ID, then that’s a criminal offence, and of course, if you have not done the education, the exam and the effort, the hams will suss you out very quickly and no doubt report you anyway? Being blunt, asking for ways to cheat the system, from people who HAVE done it properly stinks. Sorry, but it’s like asking examiners for ways to cheat a test.

You can listen to your local repeater, if you program the radio. You need software, and the info to put in it. Brandmeister is a worldwide system that repeater owners feed into. There are other repeaters that are on different systems. Without a Government issued callsign, you are a pirate if you transmit.

Amateur radio, world wide is controlled and full of enthusiasts, beginners and experts. There is NO way to do it without the learning and testing. Listening can be interesting, but a bit boring normally. I have no idea what you mean by the FM frequencies you joined? Do you mean dialled in and listened and heard nothing? That’s quite normal. Range depends on your antenna system. Digital systems often stay quiet till turned on by people transmitting, so listeners hear nothing till people are around. For instance, The world wide talkgroup usually stays silent or every repeater would be active all the time. It perks up only when activated.

I gotta say i recently bought a Radioddity DB40-D DMR that was a 40 watt radio but after trying to program it over a month with no luck i sent it back.
Theres no doubt that im sure DMR is great but i just went ahead and purchased another radio thats 50+ watts on VHF and approx. 40+ watts on UHF and with repeaters it does more than ill ever need.
As far as you talking without a license you need that license to get your DMR ID. Personally i would suggest just getting you Technician license and youll be good to go. Without your ID you cant really do all that you could do with all your credentials.

Hello
I worked with DMR Motorola Mototrbo. The DMR system has 2 possibilities Conect + (local site) și Capacity + ( few sites linked together, GSM type) The radio is login to the system according an specific ID, programmed in the system (site controller). If you know another radio ID, you could clone the radio. In this case, you will be linked to a specific group where that radio has access. It’s not universal after you connect to the system. On the DMR system you can connect more radios on few different groups, on a multiple repeater system. You have to know the place you want to be. That is the license for. When you transmit, all others will see your radio ID, so be careful if it’s not a mutual agreement. Be very careful if it’s a P25 system. That is public safety and it’s very tricky and dangerous. Those radios could be tracked.

Seriously, in my opinion that internet-assisted DMR stuff is garbage. Dump the DMR and get yourself an analog FM ham rig, or GMRS rig and one of THOSE licenses. Or no license needed if you only listen. Stick with good ole “antenna to antenna” radio, not some needlessly complex “internet in the middle” stuff that mostly doesn’t involve actual radio-to-radio operation. Most people using “hotspots” are talking with a few milliwatts to a device in the same room that is plugged into the internet. For my money you could just join an AOL chatroom. :roll_eyes:

Wrong word. Garbage, i assume meaning rubbish?

Digital for hams and enthusiasts is a totally different facet to the hobby. The sending back of a perfectly functional radio is common. Ive actually stopped selling many dmr radios to hams because for many, their mindset is wrong. Its not about intelligence. One of my friends has a nice one and is struggling with it, despite being the local repeater keeper! Analogue folk, comfy with how they work, are happy with it, and the antennas, tweaking and ability to understand those weak hissy signals. Digital folk are interested in programming, and the features. Talking to interesting people is an aim, NOT, distance or countries. Its just like those that love contesting, and those that hate it.

DMR is not garbage, its something different in the hobby.

However, digital for business is a very positive thing. The users dont need to know anything about how they work, but they have one feature. They either give good audio, or they dont. They have great features for businesses. You see in the display, office or security, or people’s names and it just works in a properly designed system. It can be made secure and private. What is garbage about that?

We also now have these mesh radios that are a big thing in the UK, and a whole new breed of hobby people are using radios and the internet.

Saying it’s not for me is fine, but its daft to categorise a decent system as garbage. You just dont like it, that is perfectly fine.

You can use your DMR on analog radio , person to person as long as you use freqs that dont require a license. I belive you can now use digital on a MURS freq now on digital simplex person to person without a liceanse as long as your radio meets certain requirments. Also, write your own code plug , you need to program the radios to talk. I belive your question was about do you have to have a DMR ID. No, not using simplex and I am not even sure if it DMR ID is law its more of the HAM community police themselves, which you dont want to take advantage of rules if they leave them up to civilians, maybe then they would restrict it more. I think you wanted to know if you had to connect through one of the major Networks that everyone is on that they require you to have DMR ID?
You can make your own network using HBLink / DMRLink software. You can load it on a RaspPi or on a cloud server running Debian. It’s free. Will require some settings to be configured (like what port your hotspots connect to etc …)The problem with that is allowed freqs without a license are the same digital or analog and the freq has to be able to transmit digitally which I beleive MURS now can. Now that I wrote all that I wouldnt listen to me I dont even have a license. lol

NO… you cannot use digital voice on MURS. Text messaging, yes.