Licence Free Radio for a USA Trip

Hello Everyone,

I am going to visit USA in the summer with my friends.
We are going to rent 3 cars and see as much as we can.

I’m looking for Licence Free radio to communicate between cars, as European Radios are illegal in the US.

Could you advise which two way radio would be best? We will be traveling around Cities and NP. I need 3 pieces of it.

I was thinking about:

Midland X-Talker T51X3VP3 Two Way Radio - 3 Pack

Is it a good choice, could you advice if there are better/cheaper?

Hi Bogdan,

Those radios should serve your group well. The USB charging is very useful, and these radios will allow you to take advantage of NOAA Weather Radio here in the US, which you may appreciate on your road trip. Performance should be roughly the same as European PMR radios- in the car you will get anywhere between 1/4 to 2 miles range outside of cities (my own experience). You may get more outside of the vehicle if you are in vast open terrain. Cities will reduce the range, but as long as your car group remains close together, they should still work well.

I think these are a good balance of price and quality. If you get cheaper you may lose features such as USB charging, NOAA Weather Radio, etc.

Just my opinion. I hope it helps!

There are several types of radios available for use in the US that are license free. You could choose CB, FRS, MURS or 900MHz business radios.

For a road trip between vehicles, here are some considerations.

The 900 MHz radios are intended primarily for business use but can be used by anyone. They can be pricey for general consumer use on a road trip, and they are limited to 1 watt, but they offer great coverage, largely due to their higher frequency range.

FRS radios are a common choice, but they are limited to 2 watts and are not allowed to have removable antennas, which means your range will be reduced when using them inside the vehicles, because the antennas are completely surrounded by metal and glass.

MURS radios are also limited to 2 watts, but they are allowed to have removable antennas, which means you can mount external antennas on each vehicle which will greatly extend your range, much more than a few extra watts of power. These radios can also be used by either businesses or consumers.

Then there are CB radios. These are commonly used by commercial and many recreational vehicles on the road. They have a legal limit of 4 watts, but there are many options available for external antennas that can maximize range on the road. Add the emergency channels that can be handy for roadside assistance, it is a logical choice for many on road trips.

Hello,

I guess I will stay with my first choice then :slight_smile:

Thanks for help!