Kg-935 & kg-s88g

I posted this on another forum:

Our little mountain town just got over 5 feet of snow in 3 days and most people in my small area are snowed in. We lost power for three days, got it back for 7 hours, and then lost it again for another 26 hours. During that time cell service was working. I spent one day with other neighbors trying to open up driveways and move some downed trees. Everyday I would leave the house to get a vehicle unstuck or try to clear a path to the wood shed or start and stop the generator, etc. Instead of using cell phones to keep in touch with my wife we used our GMRS handhelds. I also used them to stay in contact with other family near by. I found it much easier to use the radio than a cell phone with gloves on and in heavy snow. My wife even said she was glad we have them. One neighbor was inquiring about the radios. We share a well so it would be nice for him to have one as today I needed him at his house while I got the well pump and system thawed and restarted after getting power back. Our radios may be a fun to have tool/gadget , but, they are a great tool to have when you need them.

What I didn’t add was that the two radios I used were the KG-935 which I left with my wife, and the KG-S88G which I kept with me. My wife isn’t a radio person and was worried about pushing the wrong button so I just locked the keyboard. I ended up locking the keyboard on the KG-S88G because I found myself changing things while wearing heavy gloves. I really like the size of the S88G and the IP67 rating as it got dropped in the snow several times. Being a little smaller and even the less bendy short antenna made putting it in a coat pocket easier. I am half deaf and it was loud enough for me to hear when in a pocket. These radios have proven to be excellent pieces of equipment. In my opinion they are worth what I paid for them and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either again.

This was a little long winded but I thought I would try to share something positive and real world. YMMV

Sean

3 Likes

Sean, your post wasn’t long winded at all. It was very informative! After seeing this massive snow event in California and other Western States, on tv, I would imagine those with GMRS radios are finding them to be very handy, even possibly lifesaving.
Remote cell sites do have diesel powered generators as a grid backup during commercial power outages. However, they require refueling which would be impossible considering the amount of snow.
GMRS will probably be seriously looked at, as a viable option, after this storm has passed. Unfortunately, more is on the way☹️

Depending on cellular, during any kind of an emergency, is a poor and regrettable choice.
Now that almost everyone has only a cellphone, ANY little “event” creates site overload, and the inability to complete a call.
I’m glad you and your wife are making it ok, and wish you both the very best.

Tom. WRQE346

1 Like