Is the QuanSheng uvk5(8) any good as a communication device?

Hi all,
I was holding off buying a radio for a while, life got in the way and I had more important things. Done some research and came across a device called the Quan sheng UVK5(8). It appeals to me because its inexpensive and loaded with features. Like a wide frequency range, wireless copy frequency and even the ability to install custom firmware which i might in time.

My question is should or should I not buy it. My main use is to RX on 2m and 70cm in open country. I heard Rx and Tx are average sound quality but airband (which i dont need) is unreadable quality.

Does anyone have any experience with this radio and how would it compare with lets say a Bao feng or other HT in this price range ($20)

I have a couple. They are all right as 2 meter and 70 cm transceivers. Air band reception is better with third party firmware. If you want an inexpensive air band receiver, look into the Tidradio H3; otherwise the Quansheng will work about as good as a Baofeng.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks. I have no real use for airband but it sounds fun to use the firmware to improve am rx. Actually went ahead and ordered one for small money to use with 70cm uhf. Baofengs are good value for money, but the quansheng just seems to have a few extra features that might be interesting to mess around with.

1 Like