I'm lost! New to GMRS/HAM but licensed

I’m lost, I have never tried anything like this, but tried to do it the right way. Got licensed first and then bought the radios. I have a couple of UV-5R’s and a couple of Tidradio H8’s.. I can get them to talk to each other within their class, but that’s it. I guess they call that Simplex.
I would like to go further. How do I get use repeaters? on both systems? How do I connect to the repeaters? How am I able to participate in Nets? I have heard some transmissions but would like to transmit myself, but how?

Please help!

Jose.

I would go to youtube and search for “how to use GMRS repeaters”. You will find many good videos to help you learn about what repeaters are and how to use them.

If you Googled your question instead of asking here, you would have gotten all your answers.

Look into getting your HAM license. look for a local Amateur Radio Club..https://www.arrl.org/

But if everyone did that wouldn’t the whole point of a forum like this be made moot?

Id rather talk with the people who have actually been there and done that.

Not at all. A local radio club is instant answers and suggestions from locals who can help in real time. forums allow specific comment on narrow subjects from people all over the world who can potentially solve specifics from experience

1 Like