Icom IC-F3001 VS Kenwood TK-2100 ProTalk

Hello to all; I’m fairly new when it comes to the two-way radio hobby as well as these forums, and I had a quick question in regards to the two radios mentioned in the title. I’m trying to decide on whether the Icom IC-F3001 or the Kenwood TK-2100 is a better purchase based on what I would use the radios for; general recreation as well as communication between vehicles on road-trips. The reason I’ve picked out these two was mostly price and the ability to use MURS.

That’s another quick question I have besides the one above; is it possible to have the Icom IC-F3001’s power limited to 2 watts and have it use MURS frequencies legally?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :smiley:
-Zach

Zach, technically speaking it can be done. Legally, no. If you are going MURS, why not just buy a MURS radio? The Motorola RDM2020 and RDM2080d are both good, solid MURS radios. There are others out there as well that will do the job without any reprogramming or mods.

I was hoping to avoid the steeper cost of the Motorola RDM2020s but still be able to purchase a radio that was not beat to hell in the used market, and that would be compatible with MURS. Looks like I’ve got some thinking to do then, but in any case thanks for the quick response and insight! :smiley: