Icom IC-F3001 VS Kenwood TK-2100 ProTalk

Hello to all; I’m fairly new when it comes to the two-way radio hobby as well as these forums, and I had a quick question in regards to the two radios mentioned in the title. I’m trying to decide on whether the Icom IC-F3001 or the Kenwood TK-2100 is a better purchase based on what I would use the radios for; general recreation as well as communication between vehicles on road-trips. The reason I’ve picked out these two was mostly price and the ability to use MURS.

That’s another quick question I have besides the one above; is it possible to have the Icom IC-F3001’s power limited to 2 watts and have it use MURS frequencies legally?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :smiley:
-Zach

Zach, technically speaking it can be done. Legally, no. If you are going MURS, why not just buy a MURS radio? The Motorola RDM2020 and RDM2080d are both good, solid MURS radios. There are others out there as well that will do the job without any reprogramming or mods.

I was hoping to avoid the steeper cost of the Motorola RDM2020s but still be able to purchase a radio that was not beat to ■■■■ in the used market, and that would be compatible with MURS. Looks like I’ve got some thinking to do then, but in any case thanks for the quick response and insight! :smiley: