I need your suggestions

I want to buy 2-way radios for use in forest (hunting, mountain) and on the forest road , I had Motorola at 80$ they were great for one year and after the signal was unable to transmit for 1/2 mile… I want something strong, durable and with long live battery (24 hours minimum and lost cost battery) I think I prefer radios without chargeable batteries,

what do you suggest to me

I’m in québec canada

thank’s a lot, Denis

Hi Denis, the battery life on your radio is going to depend on the type of battery you are using, the wattage of the radio and how you use that radio. Unless you use your radio sparingly and at a very low wattage, disposable batteries are not going to give you 20 hours of battery life. Even at 1/2 watt typical alkaline batteries won’t do it.

If you are in a heavily wooded area you will need the wattage to cut through the trees in order to get past a 1/2 mile. This will require more power. If you want the battery to last longer, you will need a long lasting rechargeable battery such as a high capacity lithium-ion.

If that’s the case, your best choice is probably a business-class radio. A MURS radio may be an option. Since you are in Canada, you will need to check your local laws regarding the use of MURS before you purchase one.

We actually covered this very topic in our podcast, The Two Way Radio Show Episode 3 - Radios in the Woods. We discussed the factors to consider when choosing a radio for use in the woods when hiking, hunting or camping.

We also just released Episode 17 - Batteries For Radios. We discussed the factors that determine battery life, the different types of batteries available for radios, and how to choose the right battery for your radio. These episodes may help.

Hey Rick,

if you were to recommend a specific product here, what would it be? Interested to know.