Help

I’m very new to this so I’m sorry if this is in the wrong place. I have two Midland GXT860s. When I got them they both worked fine and both charged just fine with the red light indicator turning on when both units were plugged into the base. I generally use these while in the woods to communicate with my friends who also have Midland units. One of the units stopped charging and I can not figure out why. I have contacted Midland and they are out of warranty.

The unit that does not work will not charge at all. I have swapped batteries, tried “AA” batteries and even taken both units apart to compare wiring, check connections, check for corrosion and everything else I can think of, however; no matter what I do or try the one unit will not charge and shows no red light on the charging base when it is plugged in. I know it is not a power issue on the board because if you plug it into the base, even though the red light does not come on (indicating the unit is charging), the unit itself will still power on. Once the unit is removed from the base it powers off.

Is there anything that I can do or try to salvage this unit? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I’m a little confused about the AA part. Are you saying that the one unit simply won’t charge or are you saying that the unit won’t turn on at all, even with fresh alkaline batteries installed? Those are two different issues.

I know it is not a power issue on the board because if you plug it into the base, even though the red light does not come on (indicating the unit is charging), the unit itself will still power on. Once the unit is removed from the base it powers off.

If you are saying the radio will work with alkalines but simply won’t charge with the rechargeable battery, it is possible the desktop charger is the issue. Did you try swapping the unit in both pockets of the charger? Desktop chargers do fail, so it is possible it may be the charger.

You said you tried AA batteries, so I am assuming you mean alkalines and not AA rechargeables. If it is the latter, this is not a good idea, because the charger is not designed to work with those types of rechargeable batteries. I am dismissing the former because we all know that attempting to charge alkaline batteries is a bad idea.

If you are saying the radio won’t turn on with fresh AA alkaline batteries installed, the radio may simply be dead.

The GXT860 was discontinued a couple of years ago and is no longer manufactured by Midland. I know it’s not the answer you want to hear, but the time, effort and frustration invested in trying to revive a dead radio isn’t worth it, especially when there are other, simpler options.

Fortunately most FRS/GMRS radios on the market will work with the GXT860, so if you simply replace the non-working radio with another GXT series model, a Midland X-Talker model or just about any other make and model FRS/GMRS radio, your working unit should communicate with it.

Hi, I have two Midland xtra talk lxt118, with charger. This radios worked fine but when input the jack into the radio charger jack, I dont see anything to determinate is unit is charging. Only when radio is on, display de icon battery and this is middle empty. The charger dont hot never when plug to the current outlet.

Is possible the charger is wrong.

sorry my english.

Thank you.

Could you tell me how long you have used it?Maybe the tail plug of walkie talkie is damaged.But this is only my surmise.Better to find a repair shop,then find the reason. If it need much,then just buy a new one!Hope it is helful to you.

It is possible the charger could be defective. It could be an issue with the batteries. It could be several things. How long have you had the radios? Are these the original Midland rechargeable batteries? Did you verify it is the correct charger for the radio?

Use the radio for a day, then I put it to charge, but I do not charge, change the radio for another model. thanks for your answer.

Use the radio for a day
Yes I use de original Midland rechargeable batteries, because, it is include in the package.
Yes, I verify the correct charger for the radio.

Finally, I m going to change for other Midland radio, in the shop, because the warranty is valid.

thanks for your answer.

That’s a good news!

Who have Service Manual for Albrecht AE6110 and Anytone AT-708.Please send to me.So that others could mend them by themselves.
Thanks in advance.