Help with Motorola Cp200d

Looking for some help with programming a Moto Cp200d. I had some spares from my work that they aren’t using anymore and I’m trying to flip the programming over to monitor my local transit system or mall security. Both single freq UHF DMR sites. I’m able to monitor them with my DM-X without issue.
I do have a licensed Motorola CPS as we bought the software ans licences to program our radios at work.
I must be missing something in the CPS or the radio just isn’t working. The light flashes to indicate the signal is incoming when they TX but whatever I try I can’t get it to open up the squelch. I’ve tried everything I can think of. Not sure if I’m missing something.
I’m wondering if the radio isn’t setup to do what I’m looking for but then it works just fine at work on the system there.
Is there not a way I can’t just monitor all the talk groups incoming on the freq if I have the correct TImeslot and colour code etc?
Any help would be appreciated.

Unless that model has a promiscuous/monitor mode available, I doubt there’s a simple ‘hear all’ digital snoop.

I’m guessing on the DM-X you found a monitor mode. However, again not familiar with the actual radios in question, on radios which support AES/High Encryption, the monitor mode can still hear HE traffic and open up to it (haven’t actually tested it, but the capability exists in the makeup of the onboard software as common to most HE supporting radios). So if they happen to be using the HE encryption too, you’ll find the programmed Motorola will (like most HE radios without the right key/pass code enabled) ignore it outside of HE enabled promiscuous mode.

That’s my take on it - so it’s either a misconfiguration or the use of HE at play here I suspect.

If it is HE in use - it’ll take some effort to figure out keys required, and it’s a subject I’d rather avoid dwelling on.

Hopefully it’s a minor misconfiguration you’ll find you overlooked being new to that CPS :slight_smile:

Thanks much. I did figure it out. I was using the call ID’s instead of the Talk Group which wasn’t opening the squelch. I’m mostly new to DMR ans because this is the first actual radio I programmed I didn’t know the talk group was required. The DM-X doesn’t require a talk group to monitor or open the squelch. It only requires the frequency, colour code and time slot so it didn’t click in my head that I needed to put the talk group in :).
I had all but given up, thinking it wasn’t going to work then I was looking through Radio-reference for something on the DM-s and started to wonder why they were listing Talk groups for every DMR listing and a light bulb went off that Guaranteed that’s why there is an Rx Group list that holds and matches the talk group to the frequency and contact.
Once I entered the proper talk groups(s) it worked like a charm. It Definitely is a ton more work for large systems but for the smaller ones like your local malls security it works great.
I always seem to miss the easy stuff and figure out the difficult stuff lol.
The talk group fix went right over my head for a couple days. It just goes to show that taking a day or two to think about things before you give up is often a solution all on its own.

Thanks so much.
Nick

No problem, you got there in the end.

I’m happy to hear it wasn’t a case of them using HE encryption as that’s a whole different game to work around.

Talking of mixing up radio/caller ID and TG, at least the references are vaguely like you’d come to expect.

Now a PDTS (Chinese spec DMR Tier 1/2) radio typically refers to ‘groups and singers‘ which roughly translates to groups = zones/TG hybrid and singers = radio id/TG combined entry.

So in that case, TG801 Slot 2 equates to 801 as a singer entry in the contacts list, in most cases they all use slot 2 so you’re ■■■■ out of luck if you need slot 1 for any specific TG. Thankfully, they didn’t substitute colour code, ID on a channel preset refers to the radio ID of whoever’s using the radio.

That took me a month of bad translation, much foul language and barely resisting the temptation to commit acts of extreme predudice against those who sell such radios as ‘DMR‘ sets.

But I figured it out, a lot of grief was the W305/R700 hybrid ’DMR’ radio cellphone example I experienced before I bought a legit DMR set. It’s only saving grace is it makes a good repeater access unit when I can only really have a phone with me.

You dodged that kind of bullet I’m glad to say, and there are plenty of people who know Motorola setup stuff out there.