Help is need for a newbie

Hello everyone
I’m new here and came in for guidance. I would appreciate if you could help me solve my problem.
I’m not an expert at all in radios. We bought digital radios for the restaurant staff and I have been using the channel 3 on an analog radio with another digital which is set on 462.325 and they hear each other.

Now the question

If I want to use on the analog radio another channel out of the 16 channels other than channel 3 what would the digital frequency be?
Thank you in advance

To give you a quick summary, there is no difference in the frequency, whether analog or digital. You use the frequency assigned to your business by the FCC (if you are in the U.S.)

If you are going to use your assigned frequency on digital, you will need a new licence specific for digital.

As far as radios talking to each other, an analog radio cannot communicate to a digital radio when it is set for digital. Many of them offer the choice when setting a frequency to select either analog or digital. When programming your radios, you need to select analog.

There is no set frequency for any numbered channels, such as channel 3. It may be the frequency that was programmed in to the radio from the factory, or it may be the itinerant business frequencies programmed into the radio. The important thing here is that you cannot use 462.325 (or any other business frequency that may be programmed into those radios) unless you have a licence for those specific frequencies.

The exception would be FRS radios, and GMRS radios if you and your staff all have GMRS licences.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. There are good people who can help walk you through this. The important thing is that one cannot just use random business-band frequencies or frequencies pre-programmed into the radios unless you are licenced for that specific frequency. Sometimes, people buy inappropriate radios, turn them on and start transmitting without realizing they may be interfering with a local licenced business or even public service radios. Not sure where you are located but in the U.S., the FCC, and in Canada, Industry Canada, all take a dim view on interfering on licenced frequencies, and can do a quick search to find offending transmitters.

Also, for future reference, it helps if you mention the brand name and model of the radios you are using. Good luck and hope this helps!

1 Like

What radios do you have? Also, you can only operate on frequencies you are licensed for and modes you are licensed for. Do you have a license?

Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate your time.
For your info I’m not in Canada nor the US.
The models I’m using are boafeng BF-T15 (analog 16 channels) and boafeng UV13 PRO.

so conclusion is that 462.325 on UV13 PRO speaks to boafeng BFT15 ON channel 3.

But there won’t be any other channel other than number 3 that I can use for our second restaurant. Correct ?

P.s I tried sharing a picture of both models for reference but the forum didn’t allow since I’m a new user.

I am no expert and I have never used either model of radios, however, looking at the specs for both radios shows that the BF-T15 can be programmed with up to 16 channels and has no screen so there is no way to see how it is programmed without a computer with appropriate software. The UV13 PRO does have a scan function. If you don’t know the programming for the BF-T15 you could set the PRO to scan between 400 and 470 and then transmit from the T15 and see if you can catch the frequency on the PRO. If you have access to a frequency counter you could go that route.

Good luck

I don’t know any of these radios, however, it seems they might communicate with each other once they are properly programmed. However, according to the spec, UV13 has a higher power (10W) while BF-T15 has 5W. Theoretically, it might happen that T15 can hear UV13, but not the opposite direction.