Hello from Southeast Michigan

Hi everyone! My name is Stuart, and I’ve been a two-way radio enthusiast for more than 15 years. I hold an amateur radio license as W8SRC, and I was encouraged to get my license all those years ago after playing around with FRS radios. I still use FRS (and occasionally MURS for experimentation) to this day to keep in touch with family. I’m looking forward to meeting more radio enthusiasts on this forum!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Stewart😀
Some very nice helpful people here. I to started out in the FRS world but grew frustrated with it’s limited power, lack of base station equipment and just too many kiddos on the channels.
Moved on to GMRS and never looked back. Have a Midland MXT400, 40 watt base station downstairs, an MXT500, 50 watt upstairs, and an MXT575 mobile.
GMRS has the power, quality equipment and caters to people that have a serious need for dependable 2-way communication. Of course it does require a license which is not a big deal.
Again, welcome aboard.

Tom WRQE346

1 Like

Hello Stuart,welcome aboard. I’m also a ham but i use GMRS to keep in touch with my wife who is also a ham.she has copd and rather talk to her on two meters i check on her with my wouxun KG-S88G when i take my walks,and in the truck have a motorola mcs 2000. i have my own repeater with a good range. i have been in FL.for over 40 years from Chicago. yes i’m an old man FRANK N4FDC/WRTI255

1 Like

Thank you, Tom and Frank! I also run my own repeater on the amateur radio 70cm band. I’ve been going back and forth on getting my GMRS license over the years, and I’m still thinking about it.