Grossly confused

I need to buy newer walkie talkies, and am quite confused despite a lot of reading. Please advise. (1) If I buy what I gather is a “hybrid” radio that works on FRS and GMRS, do I need an FCC license? (2) Are there really any QUALITY FRS IP54 or …67 rated radios? I read manufacturer site reviews and they seem pretty good (any bias there?? ha ha) but reviews on places like Amazon show 20-25% responses in 1-star and 2-star categories. The GMRS radios seem to fare better, but I don’t really want an FCC license for everyone who uses my radio; family and friends. Any ideas? I need to communicate with another boat, and we may be a mile or two apart, with perhaps some islands inbetween us; braided rivers. Thanks for any suggestions/answers! john

First, since you mentioned boats, where do you plan to use the radios? Will they be primarily used for marine activities, terrestrial use, or both? Will they be used in the US or international waters? The answers to your questions depend on where and how you will use them.

Now, assuming you will be using them in the US on land or a combination of land and lakes, the following applies:

1. (a) In 2017 the FCC redefined the rules for what are commonly known as hybrid FRS/GMRS radios. Any of those radios that operate under 2 watts are no longer considered FRS/GMRS, but FRS only and are now “licensed by rule”, meaning that you don’t need a license to operate them. However, if the radios are over 2 watts, they are considered GMRS radios, and require a GMRS license to operate.

(b) FRS and GMRS share the same channels and frequencies. The difference is that if you are using them with a Part 95 approved radio with a fixed antenna at under 2 watts (which covers nearly all the FRS/GMRS hybrid radios on the market, you are operating on the FRS. If you are using the frequencies with a higher wattage radio that is Part 95 approved, has a fixed or removeable antenna, or is capable of using GMRS repeaters such as the Midland GXT1000 (2.95 watts) or MicroMobile GMRS radios (5-40 watts, external antenna and repeater capable), you are using those frequencies on the GMRS.

1. There are FRS radios designed as waterproof. Some are submersible, and a few even float.

2. If you decide to get a GMRS license, you don’t need to buy one for every member of your family. One GMRS license covers them all, including spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and in-laws. Read more.

If you are only using the radios over open water, or will be in international waters, you may want to consider a marine radio instead. No license is required when operating marine radios on recreational vessels operating domestically which are not required by law to carry a radio or do not travel to foreign ports. However, If your vessel travels to ports in other countries, you will need to have a license.

1 Like

Rick: Wow. That is a brain full. Thanks very much for clearing up a lot of issues. I just ordered Motorola T460’s, and like a dunderhead, I did not think to check buytwowayradios.com first; ever heard of them? ha ha. That cost me an extra $20! I will try to cancel the order and order from b.t.w.r.com

You can afford a boat? But not a license costing $70 that last for ten years?
Frankly, I am perplexed by the question.
Only one license per boat should do it, assuming two families. If a single family on two boats, just one license is necessary.

@O-B-1 The fact the poster can afford a boat therefore can afford a license is a totally irrelevant point - where necessary for use, it’s a clear case of use radio with license (where mandatory) or not and if going to use, get licensed.

I’m guessing part of the OP’s reluctance isn’t about affordability. It sounds more like a case of where replacement radio equipment is concerned, not wanting to have to get an alternative license unnecessarily because of new equipment bought out of necessity not choice.

But simply, if intended use changes which license is required, to use in the intended manner requires the appropriate change of document/permit where applicable.

Where you get dual service spec kit, sharing some or all of a same frequency allocation, it’s easy to get confused over the situation.

It’s like with DMR Tier 1/2 certified kit, sharing common frequencies, but with different restrictions depending on your license or license-free mode of use.

Continuing the comparison - strictly speaking, a dual tier radio requires a license suitable for operating within the upper tier of operations due to it being capable of use at upper tier capability, because they are not hardware inhibited from upper tier use which would allow legit use under the lower tier.

That’s why, where used on ham frequencies, DMR Tier 2 is perfectly OK for a ham operator to use under their higher level license, but strictly speaking, to use it dual operation under DMR allocation use and ham use requires a Tier II level use license for the unmodified DMR level use and their already active ham license for ‘modded‘ ham radio use.

But due to the shockingly confusing train wreck of license info regarding DMR and DPMR here, for DMR - many ham users who dual use don’t realise they would still need Tier II grade permit for actual DMR allocation use as well due to the fact the equipment is Tier II spec and soft-locked.

Soft-locked means it can be (by design) operation locked to full or restricted use, so strictly speaking is user configurable given possession of programming kit