What the add said. But if need to buy license from fcc for 70$
So be it
Now the question
How do I talk on a this radio
And can you scan frequenices
Like a radio scanner and you get the digital scanner frequenices on it
I used to char on cb radio
Please reply…

The Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) uses channels in the 151 – 154 MHz spectrum range. The most common use of MURS channels is for short-distance, two-way communications using small, portable hand-held radios that function similar to walkie-talkies.

There are five MURS channels and the channels are either 11.25 kHz or 20.00 kHz each. The channel frequencies and (bandwidth) are:

151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz)
154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz)
154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz)

MURS is similar GMRS in that it has “channels” or frequencies labeled as channels. As far as I know the radios can only TX on those 5 channels and can have “privacy tones” for each of the five. Privacy tones are not private, kind of the opposite, actually. You can only talk to other MURS capable radios. The radio you are looking at has a high power of 2W.

I don’t know what you want to use them for but if it were me I would go with GMRS even with the license expense because of the greater number of channels and more ways of using the system. Just my opinion though. Hope this helps a little.

Sean

Hand held ham radios
Require a genius to pass the crazy exams
But ham radio operators
Is more smarter than me. It not like getting a license to use a cb radio

Note GMRS might cost more
I perfer a license free radio what the FCC demands is beyond the
Basic rules

With respect, that’s rubbish. The ham exams are staged in levels and with a bit of effort, anyone can pass. Even kids! What people miss is that it is a hobby, so if you’re not interested in the hobby, it’s useless to consider if you just want to chat to a few selected people. Ham radio is for people who want to chat to strangers, or experiment and push technical boundaries. The highest drop out rate is when people take the test for the wrong reasons. Licence free is for small groups, with short range. Licenced versions are for bigger groups with a bit longer range but less for talking to strangers. That is ham radio and CB. Using any of these schemes the wrong way usually fails. A friend of mine with Downs Syndrome has his ham licence and another friend who is a Doctor of philosophy gave up as the exam was too hard! Work out what you want to do, who you want to talk to and how much money you can invest, then choose the right solution.

I don’t know anything about electronics
Ham test is stage one
Tech
Which what does that has to do with saying cq cq this is Dallas texas any one hear me

Any way I am getting a license free radio
Some times the fcc wants universities grads to have licenses

The Wouxun KG-805M is an excellent MURS radio and is part of the 805 series, which includes the very popular and highly rated KG-805G GMRS and KG-805F FRS radios. The KG-805F is also license-free and is compatible with the KG-805G.

FRS and GMRS share the same channels and frequencies, so the KG-805F a great alternative if you want to talk with GMRS radios but do not want to buy a GMRS license. The only drawbacks to FRS is that it is limited to a maximum of 2 watts, the antennas are not detachable and you cannot talk on repeater channels. However, these are minor considerations for casual personal use in many cases.

There are also tutorial videos available on programming both the KG-805M and KG-805G with advanced features and custom channels if needed.

The cost might be 390$

The cost of which is $390?

Ham radio has never been as accessible as it is now. You do NOT need to be a graduate - that is not the quest of the FCC or the UK OFCOM - BUT - as hams get radio privileges in terms of what they can do compared to the other radio users, there is responsibility too. If you cannot understand this, or the other things you mention that have been misunderstood, then licence free radio is a good start - but be aware. Many people you might discover in your area won’t want to talk to you. Many people ONLY want to communicate with their friends, and not strangers. CB and Ham radio is about strangers and chat. Licence free radio does have people who want to do this kind of thing, but remember this is not what it’s actually for?

I recently (2020) purchased a GMRS license from the FCC. Cost was $70 I chose that because I wanted back-up communications. Since then I also studied for and got my technician class ham license which has opened up a whole other world to me. I do understand your fear of the ham license but I am a horrible test taker but did pass the first try!
GMRS is similar to ham as they can use repeaters to greatly improve your range. Don’t buy cheap radios. If you are serious about doing this get good quality equipment. Note also that one GMRS license will cover you and your entire family!

1 Like

“With respect, that’s rubbish.”
But without respect, keep in mind his, her, or its diction:
“But ham radio operators Is more smarter than me.”,
so, more work could be involved here than you might imagine. :wink: