Frequency Help?!

Hello,
I am relatively new to the 2-way world, and have obtained my GMRS license and call sign.
I am using my radios for some short-course off road racing communication.
I have no clue what frequency to have my radios programmed at. The radios are 2 channel radios, so I am assuming I can get 2 frequencies programmed in.
I just have no clue as to what frequencies to have programmed.

Can somebody help??

What is the make and model of the radios you have?

They are Motorola P1225

Motorola made a UHF and VHF radio with that model number (No idea why they did that). Do you know if it is the UHF one? If you open the battery case and take out the battery there might be a label with frequency information on it (400 - 520 MHz or such).

They are both UHF 450-470. I had called Motorola, and they ran the part numbers for me.

Ok, we should be able to program two GRMS frequencies in for you. We are getting ready to shut down for Memorial day, if you could call us next week we can help you with this 1-800-584-1445. Programming cost tends to be around $20 + shipping charges. If you go elsewhere do not pay much more than that!

Shipping to where? I may not have a lot of time for shipping, the holiday weekend has kind of screwed me over for timing.
I was hoping to have these radios operational by June 4th. I live in zip 49931. There is someone locally where I can get them programmed, and I believe he is reasonably priced.
I just have no clue what frequencies to try to use, especially since I am just limited to 2 channels.

It would be cutting it close to send us the radios to program and get them back by next Friday. Check out where you live for a two way radio shop that sells Motorola, they should be able to help you out with everything. A radio shop should be listed in the yellow pages. Just do not pay too much, some places will try to charge $50 or more! Just tell them you want two GMRS frequencies, then write down the ones they use. Use this to “match up” with other GMRS radios (you can use any of the following):

15 GMRS 462.5500
16 GMRS 462.5750
17 GMRS 462.6000
18 GMRS 462.6250
19 GMRS 462.6500
20 GMRS 462.6750
21 GMRS 462.7000
22 GMRS 462.7250

Excellent, thanks for the info.
Is there a such thing as using frequencies that may not “match up” to other radios? I just do not want to interfere with another race team’s communications.

Not much you will be able to do about that. We have sold plenty of radios to race teams. The more “involved” ones get a commercial license and use commercial grade gear. Others use basic consumer GMRS radios.

Consumer radios operate on a standard set of frequencies, either the GMRS or FRS services or a combination of both. Most newer consumer radios are “dual service” radios that support both FRS and GMRS. These radios will typically have 22 channels. Older consumer radios may only have 14 channels, operating only on FRS.

Regardless, all of these radios that support FRS and/or GMRS use the same frequencies and are compatible with one another. Simply set all radios to the same channel number and privacy code, and you will be able to communicate.

If you buy a set of true GRMS radios such as these: http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/midland/midland-gxt-760-vp4.aspx you will have a lot more channels to use and privacy codes as well.

Oh and depending on the make and model there are some headsets that people use: http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/xlt/ptt-earpiece-hm200-mb1.aspx

1 FRS / GMRS 462.5625
2 FRS / GMRS 462.5875
3 FRS / GMRS 462.6125
4 FRS / GMRS 462.6375
5 FRS / GMRS 462.6625
6 FRS / GMRS 462.6875
7 FRS / GMRS 462.7125
8 FRS 467.5625
9 FRS 467.5875
10 FRS 467.6125
11 FRS 467.6375
12 FRS 467.6625
13 FRS 467.6875
14 FRS 467.7125
15 GMRS 462.5500
16 GMRS 462.5750
17 GMRS 462.6000
18 GMRS 462.6250
19 GMRS 462.6500
20 GMRS 462.6750
21 GMRS 462.7000
22 GMRS 462.7250

Another option is 900 MHz, though they may not be ideal for racing: http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/trisquare/trisquare-tsx-300-2vp.aspx

Excellent, I think it may be starting to make sense! Thanks for the info!!

THE RADIO IS A KENWOOD TK-2300/3300 • (150 - 174 MHz) VHF / (450-470 MHz) UHF I NEED ALL THE CHANNELS HELP!!! 4 & 16 Channel Models I KNOW CHANNEL 1 IS 153.485

The TK-2300’s are not programmed with the frequency you provided (153.485) from Kenwood. If you have one of these radios and that frequency is indeed programmed into it, you have a tunable radio, and that frequency was put in for you. Since your radio is tunable, there is no true way to know what the other channels are unless the radio is scanned.

yess it is scanable but i don’t know how to use the feature so i just brought a scanner

ANY INFO REGRADING THE FREQUENCIES WILL BE VERY MUCH APPREC THIS IS WHERE I WORK BUT I BROUGHT A SCANNER SO I COULD KNOW WHATS GOING ON WHEN I’M NOT THERE I’M THE STAFF Supervisor AN I’M HAVING A LOT OF DAYS OFF DANVILLE VA 153.48500 RM WWMooreJDC WW Moore Juvenile Detention Center FM Corrections NEED A LIST OF FREQUENCIES 1-4-16 PLEZ HELP IF :frowning:

ANY INFO REGRADING THE FREQUENCIES WILL BE VERY MUCH APPREC THIS IS WHERE I WORK BUT I BROUGHT A SCANNER SO I COULD KNOW WHATS GOING ON WHEN I’M NOT THERE I’M THE STAFF Supervisor AN I’M HAVING A LOT OF DAYS OFF DANVILLE VA 153.48500 RM WWMooreJDC WW Moore Juvenile Detention Center FM Corrections NEED A LIST OF FREQUENCIES 1-4-16 PLEZ HELP IF:(

ANY INFO REGRADING THE FREQUENCIES WILL BE VERY MUCH APPREC THIS IS WHERE I WORK BUT I BROUGHT A SCANNER SO I COULD KNOW WHATS GOING ON WHEN I’M NOT THERE I’M THE STAFF Supervisor AN I’M HAVING A LOT OF DAYS OFF DANVILLE VA 153.48500 RM WWMooreJDC WW Moore Juvenile Detention Center FM Corrections NEED A LIST OF FREQUENCIES 1-4-16 PLEZ HELP IF

No one but your radio shop can tell you what frequencies are in your radio.

Posting the same message over and over is silly. So is posting in all caps.

If your radio has frequency 123.456 in channel one, that tells you NOTHING about what (if anything at all) is in channel 2.

It has whatever was programmed into it in each channel. In whatever order the radio programmer chose.

Just by the way, 153.485 shows in FCC license listings as being licensed to Water & Gas Dept., PITTSYLVANIA, DANVILLE, VA.

That frequency is allocated for use of Water and Gas Utilities. Not correctional facilities. Just might not be legally licensed…

Radioreference does show it (and nothing else) for that correctional center, though. Odd.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2925

Call me crazy, but wouldn’t a staff supervisor know or have access to that info? As Skip suggests, call the radio shop; one phone call.

Methinks perhaps it’s NOT a staff supervisor at a correctional facility. Methinks it is someone with a stolen radio who wants to eavesdrop on someone.

If I am wrong, I apologize. He can send me a PM. I know some of the Corrections emergency response folks in VA, and a quick email to those good folks can get the staff supervisor all the info he needs quickly.

Anyone in for $20 that I don’t get that PM?

;););):wink:

NO not really i wouldn’t have any of that information ---- i don’t know nothing about a radio i was just taught the controls an all that i just know you push the ptt to talk an how to switch channels i work in main control with the cameras mostly