Frequency and scanner

i don’t know the frequencies to a radio so if i use my a scanner to get on the frequency is that the correct one.

Huh??? :confused:

yes that would be fine just scan on your scanner then hold down ptt on your other radio until your scanner finds it then it should have on the screen a 7 digit number this will be your frequency.

No, scanners do not work well for that, since at that close range, you’ll get all sorts of spurious responses on all sorts of frequencies.

You need a frequency counter, OR, a scanner that has a ‘Close Call’ (Uniden) or Signal Stalker (Radio Shack/GRE) detection function designed for detecting local strong signals.

Or you could just look up your license and see what frequency it’s for.

Yup, you need a scanner with “Close Call RF Capture” or something like it, and it is still not the best way to do that. Depends on the model, but some are easy to find out, others you need the software.

On a related note, we have been thinking about carrying scanners on Buy Two Way Radios. While they are not, well two way radios, we are considering it. Are there any specific scanners you guys like? Such as brands like Uniden (which we sorta have now)? Please no links. :slight_smile:

Guys, check the date of the original post. :smiley:

Anyway, a scanner with a close call will work perfectly for this. I do this quite often.

Jeff, I think scanners would be a good idea. The only thing is there is much competition, but I am sure you could make it work.

Uniden and GRE are about the only choices for real world “scanners”. There are plenty of “receivers” also, but that is a different breed IMO. Icom does have a really nice scanner they market towards race fans.

I know some third party sites also carry Radio Shack scanners, but I have no idea how they do that.
Besides, RS scanners are simply rebadged Uniden and GRE units.

Thanks! I will pass this on to our sales people. I know the Uniden scanners are easy for us to get, and the Icom should be as well.